Author Topic: Appt at MEEI-Please help if you can?  (Read 8496 times)

jerseygirl

Re: Appt at MEEI-Please help if you can?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 06:11:12 pm »
I certainly hope that your doctors continue to be stunned. I heard this AN-facial neuroma difference in first symptoms from more than one neurosurgeon, so if yours also believe in it, there is a reason for them to be stunned!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Cheryl R

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 06:45:46 pm »
I only  had a bit of a facial droop for about a month prior to my facial neuroma surgery. My only symptom.  They think it was approx 2 cm.    It had not showed up on the MRI a year before.           My surgeon said there was the chance that was what it was but said he would not know for sure until got in.       The rest is history!                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

elliemae

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 10:03:58 am »
This IS very interesting!  I have a diagnosed AN, which has been treated by proton therapy at MGH (like Laura) due to Dr's opinion that neuroma is on the facial nerve also.  I am also a patient of Dr. McKenna.

I had various hearing and facial symptoms for about 3 years before diagnosis. In 2003, I had a diagnosed BPPV for dizziness and imbalance;  in 2004, I had diagnosed "hemifacial spasms" which got progressively worse over the next few years; in 2005, I started complaining about hearing, and had the BAER test which was "normal" and an MRI with contrast that was misread for the AN (it WAS on there!).  It was finally in 2006, with actual hearing loss, that another MRI pointed out the AN.  In hindsight, I believe all of these other things were symptoms of the tumor.  The facial problems were the worst, until the hearing loss.

Danielle, do ask about the possibility of radiation treatment w/o surgery, or get another opinion (Dr. McKenna is great!).  Both MEEI and MGH Drs told me that they couldn't determine if my tumor was facial w/o surgery - couldn't tell from the MRI.  And because of facial symptoms, thought that radiation treatment, and the proton in particular, would be less harmful to the facial nerve and other areas.  And, since the treatment in Nov/Dec 2008, my facial spasms have decreased markedly - still have them on occasion, and they're different than before, but nothing like the way they were before.

There are different radiation treatments too - I went with the proton because of Dr McKenna's and Dr. Loeffler's recommendations.
Good luck!
Elaine

inmaine724

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 06:43:28 pm »
Hi all! Dr Nadol called and told me it is, indeed, the AN that we thought it was originally.  The thought that it might be a facial schwannoma was simply because of the marked decrease in nerve function in my left side of my face, but they said it is just that the AN is pressing on the facial nerve.  He wants me back in a month or so for another scan to check growth and go from there.  I can't believe that I am relieved that it's an AN and not the other.  The schwannoma had no real options for treatment available. Not that the AN will be an easy road should I have to take it, but at least there are options.

So, that's a good thing I think?

Still freaked out about the 56 percent of nerve loss in my left side.  Hoping in the next month that that doesn't get worse.
Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox

lholl36233

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 07:20:08 pm »
Thanks for the update.  Keep us posted.  Love the picture of you and your family.   ;D
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

iluuvpups

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 05:16:29 pm »
Yes I think you're lucky you don't have a facial neuroma.  It's what I have.  I had no facial symptoms prior to my translab surgery for what was thought to be an AN, so the doctors are wrong if they think they can diagnose based on what symptoms show up first.  I first had balance problems, then lost my hearing.  Good luck on your journey!
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait