Author Topic: SCUBA Diving After AN Surgery  (Read 8427 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: SCUBA Diving After AN Surgery
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 09:11:01 pm »
I used to dive a lot when I lived in the Virgin Islands, but I moved to NC 15 years ago and pre-AN would go down and bare-boat in the BVI every year.  I'm an avid snorkler and was a charterboat captain down there.  I used to be able to free-dive to 30- 35 feet and noticed the last time I was down there, my left ear had a hard time equalizing.  One year later, I was diagnosed with an AN.  About 9 month post-op, I got in a pretty deep pool and practised clearing my ears--pretty weird because of no hearing in the AN side I couldn't hear the "pop" and pressure release that tells you your ears have equalized.
Right now I have no idea what it'l be like at 20 feet.

Anyway--to those of you struggling with post-op deafness and balance issues--you DO get used to it and the balance does get better. You have to fight for the balance with walking, PT, head-turning, etc. The VEDA site has great at home excercises. And that over-stimulated feeling--well, it never goes away, but it does become managable as your brain compensates--it just takes time.  I remember going to Wal-mart was a major ordeal and the grocery store--YIKES!  Today, I don't think twice about it.
The SSD thing is more annoying than anything, but then again I work at home where it's quiet (except for Radio Margaritaville in my studio!)

Good luck to you all and keep fighting
Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

BostonJake

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 02:54:10 pm »
Hi Captain Deb!
Thanks for the reply to the post, it was nice to hear from someone with similar pasttimes as myself.  I too have been a charter boat captain in addition to my normal day job.  Although, I really loved being able to have conversations with passengers but since my surgery am worried how I'll hear folks for the wind noise while sailing. 

I really hate this deafness thing, much more than I thought I would.  I've had ADD since I was a kid, so carring on normal conversaations was hard for me with hearing in both ears.  Now, I have half that, and it's nearly impossible.  Everytime I go out with my friends, I cant hear any of the conversation and just sit quietly to myself.  I've tried the usual tricks, have my good ear facing the conversation, try places with little noise, and all that.  But really any noise, people talking, multiple conversations, or normal street traffic negates my participation in any other conversations. It's really depressing.  I like being a pretty social guy, but I cant carry on conversations anymore.  Even my girlfriend is frustrated with me when I don't hear her, or I ask her to repeat things.  I used to like the fact that I am a personable guy, who enjoys conversing with people, now, I feel like I can;t hear anything unless someone faces me and speaks loudly.  It's really frustrating.

As far as diving goes, this past week I had my six month mri. I saw the picture and was a little scared, so I'm going to hold off pressing the panic button until I meet with my doc may 3rd.  Hopefully then, he'll be able to give me some answers on the dive thing.  I am scared though.  I've been getting this aweful headaches that started a few weeks ago.  Just shooting pain on my an side.  Everything has been going great for a while now, so I'm getting way frustrated that I'm hitting stumbling blocks now.  Anyway, just thought I'd vent, its been kinda a frustrating day....thanks for listening...er...reading.

Jake
3.2" AN Removed at Mass General Hospital, 10/18/05
Proton Therapy at MGH summer of 2006
No news really...

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 03:08:45 pm »
Jake

For me, it's still hard to hear in crowds, but it has gotten a little better, either that or I just am not social at all anymore--I used to love parties and stuff, but now I'm just not interested.  Don't really miss it, just not interested! Just too much of a hassle.  I enjoy quiet evenings with the hubby now.
I used to judge wind direction by putting my face into the wind till the noise is even in both ears--no need of telltails for this winch wench!

Where did you skipper?

Good luck with the headaches--mine started just after my surgery and got progressively worse for 2 years, then just started to get progressively better (???) and now I just have one occaisionally.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 03:14:21 pm »
Jake am I understanding your correctly that you're follow up mri is showing signs of an an?  Did you get the report with the mri? 

I can relate to the social thing.  Seems like no matter where I go or whom I'm with I feel so left out of the conversations with a group of people.  I can barely handle one on one. 

Hey capt Deb...we's got us a back up capt in case you have a migraine on our journey!   ;D

thecakes

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 02:44:35 pm »
   Hi all, I used to live in the swimming pool when I was younger.  I thought I'd try it now, (3 1/2 years post op}  Its scares me.  I have no sense of direction.  I don't know top from bottom and I ALWAYS KEEP MY ARMS IN FRoNT OF ME SO i DON'T HIT THE WALL OR FLOOR of the pool.{caps locked on me again, woops!]but at least i can go and splash and get wet.

Battyp

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 08:52:30 pm »
Cakes I'm hoping to start swimming in the next few weeks to lose some weight..I'll keep the hands thing in mind.  A neighbor wanted me to go swimming the week after surgery..Can you imagine that?   ???  I can't walk, dress myself but she thought I could swim  LOL

thecakes

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 07:37:16 am »
  Wow Batty, thats silly and dangerous too.  I hope to get back in the pool too, I need to lose some weight myself.  I used to go to a "fat farm" for a year and I lost 40 lbs. but old habits come back.  Boy, did I think I was cool, and I swore I would never be heavy again but------ tada her I am!  You know, I'm 47.  I'm to the point where it like, give me a break, I'm getting old. I can have a few wrinkles and  be a little out of shape and have a few gray hairs, I earned all of them.  Maybe this is the wrong way to feel but it makes me feel better anyway. :)

SKT

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 08:39:41 am »
Hey Jake

Why did the pictures scare you?   Perhaps you just saw the fat in your head which is used in the translab procedure?

Don't get too worried about headaches and shooting pains on AN side.  It really is still early days for you - your surgery was only 6 months ago.  I still get shooting pains on that side every now and then.  I think half the time it's just a little fluid, hayfever  - basically lots of different things that can cause these feelings.  Don't get too stressed - the likelihood of a regrowth tumour that's causing any symptoms you can feel is highly unlikely.  Remember you've been through major surgery - it's natural that you will feel sharp pains every now and then .  I actually got alot more symptoms 6 months after surgery than I did immediately after. 

Keep me posted on how you go with the doc.  Would like to hear all is well, which I'm sure it is.

Sofie

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 07:52:51 pm »
Hey Jake,

I'm a Mass General patient as well. Going back for another MRI on 5/11 - next week. I'm a professional musician! Think of how I feel!!!
My left ear is done. Now I have to protect my right ear.

Did you have Drs. Barker and McKenna?

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

BostonJake

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 01:21:09 pm »
Hi Gang,
Well, the MRI picture that started this thread proved to be a little strange.  My doc showed me the mri the day after surgery, and the mri from a couple weeks ago, and there is an amazing difference.  Pros: Those ventricle things are back in the center and not shifted past the midline.  Very cool to see my brain back to a semi normal shape.  Con: The AN looks like it has changed shape slightly and collapsed on itself where the tumor used to be.  Thats why the tumor looked the same as before.  It looked similar except it was hollow everywhere except where it was attached to the artery.  So here is where I go from here.

Its proton time.  I start on 5/30 getting my mask made and ct scans.  I guess they spend the next week or so mapping out where they shoot the protons.  Then starting a week or so after that, five days a week, for six weeks, I drive into boston to get zapped.  You have no idea how much I'm hoping this finishes this thing off.  I really do. I'm 28, this brain tumor stuff is not what I had on my agenda for this time in my life.

So, thats the status report.  Hope everyone is well.

Jake
3.2" AN Removed at Mass General Hospital, 10/18/05
Proton Therapy at MGH summer of 2006
No news really...