Author Topic: Any one have damage to the semi cleidal mastoide muscle in thier neck?  (Read 2325 times)

cin605

I believe this muscle is the source of all my head pain and neck issues....Going for nerve block next week.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

opp2

Re: Any one have damage to the semi cleidal mastoide muscle in thier neck?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:43:31 pm »
I don't have any issues with my Sternocleidomastoid but I can see why it may give rise to issues if it was cut during surgery, and didn't heal properly. All the best with your nerve block.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

epc1970

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:54:02 am »
I have exactly the same issue with the same muscle group. Have you gone to see an osteopath? A DO is specifically trained to work with musculoskeltal issues. I have been seeing one since about 6 months post op (now a little over 2 years post op) and have seen a huge improvement in my neck pain and a corresponding reduction in head pain. It seems to have gotten to the root of the problem rather than masking it with medications.  My next step is to see a DO that specializes in neuromusculoskeltal cranial work whose primary practice is to treat post craniotomy patients for head pain and headaches. I am seeing her this fall and can't wait!

Erin

cin605

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:27 am »
Thanks for the info Erin..I will look into this....of course no Dr has told me that this is the source of my pain i figured it out by looking up neck muscles online......of course they di not tell me about neurontin/gabepenton either. ::)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:36:53 am »
I know exactly what you mean...if it were not for my D.O., I truly feel that I would be in bad shape still. It has not been an overnight cure but my neck barely gives me trouble anymore and it used to be daily misery. If your issue is truly "mechanical" in nature vs nerve pain as mine is then an D.O. should be able to help you or at the very least rule out that your pain is musculoskelatal in origin.  Good luck!!

Erin