Author Topic: When to go back to work?  (Read 3178 times)

suz

When to go back to work?
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:11:24 am »
Hello folks,
I am scheduled to go back to work in 2 weeks and I think I am ready but wondering what criteria others have used to decide when they are ready.
I am a nurse, but work in an outpatient setting and am the only person in my department.  The days are long and busy, and many days I get only a 15 minute break.....and once I decide to go back, it will be hard to reverse that decision.
It has been 6 weeks since my surgery - so this seems reasonble, yes? I know my docs will say that if I feel ready I can go - but am afraid since I can't change the plan once in place... Would love to hear others thoughts.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

Cheryl R

Re: When to go back to work?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:07:15 am »
Suz,    I went back to work as a nurse in 2 mos.    Did this twice due to my NF2 and more than one tumor and then surgery.     The last surgery had retired and have stayed retired.        The having to do so much mental work along with so much running up and down a hall made me glad I had waited as long as I did.   I still was tired easily for some time.         We each feel different and you know how much you can handle.      If not sure then maybe do need a bit more time off.                Good luck with how it goes!                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:12:57 am »
Suz,
The only advice I can offer to you is to try to return part time if possible, fatigue is a big factor when returning to work so try not to over do it.
If not you might want to wait another couple weeks, but it really all depends on how you are feeling.  Can you keep the energy level of this job at home doing chores and whatnot, if so then I say go for it, but if not don't go back to soon especially if you are either all or nothing.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

bell

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:02:54 am »
I agree, listen to how you feel. Fatique is big and will continue for awhile. I would go back part time and work into full. I took 4 months off and I still worked part time for 2 more months. I had good days and bad days and OTC got me through the bads, and sitting down when I had a headache. Fellow workers understood I needed a break and they helped alot. Good luck when you go back.
Bell

kenneth_k

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:09:24 am »
Hi Suz.

I also started out part time for two weeks when I returned to work. It worked very well for me.
Have you considered starting out on part time? Is that a possibility for you?

Best regards, Kenneth

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:33:17 pm »
Suz -

it depends on you - and your doctor.  Doctors usually let you decide, since you are the one who knows how you truly feel, but if they have doubts, they won't "release" you.

Everyone heals at a different rate, and many of us have different problems post op.  It also depends on the type of work you do - desk job vs strenous, physical job.

I work a desk job and I returned to work part-time (half days) 2 1/2 weeks post op and returned full days @ 4 weeks.  But that's just me.  Others have returned sooner - or later - or sometimes not at all (they apply for disability).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suz

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:18:39 pm »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Cheryl, Jan, Kenneth, & Liz,
I will have to think about the part-time option and if my short-term disability company will allow that. It is a good suggestion. My boss has planned to have another RN work with me for the first few days but I am still worried about what will happen if I can't make it through the day for the long-term. Also a great suggestion to try to increase workload around the house to mimic my work day to see how I do.
I am thinking that another few weeks would make me more confidant, though. Such a struggle to put oneself first! My job has been covered by four per diem RN's that all have other full-time jobs, so I feel the pull to get back to relieve them of the added burden to their schedule.
I really appreciate the quick feedback; this community is so wonderful!
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

opp2

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 09:03:41 pm »
I'm not a nurse but a police officer. I get the long shifts for sure. When I left for surgery on Jun 30th I told my boss expect me to be off 3-6 months. I had surgery on July 6th, and I feel fabulous. BUT--I will not be going back until October. I promised myself. It's easy to say I feel fabulous right now, but I am at home all day. My kids let me sleep until 8-830, I send them off to the sitters around 1030-11, then I work out, sit down for lunch at 1-1:30 and then maybe do a project until 4-430 when I go back and get my kids. I then make them dinner and we hang out til 8-830 when they go to bed.

So as you see, I sit a lot, I'm not on the go, no stress, no decision making, none of that. I believe that I really need that time to recuperate. To rest and to get ready to go back.

I'm sure I could go back, but I'd be tired, and I'd regret it.

I hope that helps. It's hard to explain to people who are looking at you thinking, 'she looks pretty darn good for a girl who had brain surgery'. You know they're thinkin' it, I know they're thinkin' it. I just use the above story to demonstrate it.

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 03:21:16 am »
It really depends.
If you think you're ready, you probably are. I'm also a nurse, and I wasn't ready when the doctor told me he thought I was (at 6 weeks) it took me about 5 months to go back, and even then I started part time and added in shifts slowly to get back to full time. I'm really glad I allowed myself the extra time, I don't think I wuold have made it if I had tried to start when the Dr told me to!
But.. that's just me. Follow your feelings!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy