Author Topic: Should I be concerned?  (Read 3180 times)

lauralynn

Should I be concerned?
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:01:41 am »
Hello my AN family,

It is going on 16 months since my surgery.  I've been dealing with the facial numbness and issues with my eye (gold weight).  My energy level has picked up a little bit but this past weekend I have felt so drained and the numbness in my face has been more intense than usual.  Usually on the weekends my face feels "pretty good" but this weekend it has felt so tired and more numb than usual.  I got alot of rest and didn't over do it or anything like that, I haven't been stressing, so I'm at a loss as to why I feel this way.  I'm really discouraged because I work at a call center and the last thing I feel up to doing is taking call after call.  Usually I feel pretty well rested by Sunday, but I just want to sleep and would rather not talk...that is how tired my mouth is.  Should I be concerned if this continues?  I can't take time off of work, I've already been written up for going to doctor's appointments.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to relieve the intensity of the numbness?  Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

sunfish

Re: Should I be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:20:27 am »
Oh boy, I can't relate to your facial problems, but I can relate to feeling tired but not really having enough time to take off work.  That was how I felt last week.  Went home on Friday, and slept 14 hours solid!  It's pretty anxiety inducing to worry about keeping your job.  I have balance issues, which wear me out.  I'm having to simplify my life outside work so I have enough energy to focus on my job.  Hope you get some good input from the post-surgery folks.  Hope it helps you as much as it helps me to keep in touch with other ANers on this forum.  God bless you, and be kind to yourself!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:01:29 am »
Do some facial massage for numbness. It always helped me. I even bought a handheld back massager thing and used it on my face. It seemed to relax things. It was also a recommendation from a facial therapist. Even 6 years later my numbness increases and decreases...however it is getting better. I also found that the more stress I'm under, the worse it feels.

Stay strong...
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:50:18 pm »
I am sorry I have no advice I am sure others will help you.  I was just amazed that you were written up for doctor's visits after what you are going through I cannot believe that your place of employment would do this ?

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 03:03:04 pm »
Laura Lynn ~

Unfortunately, I've seen these kinds of posts before and your concern is not unreasonable.  However, because our brains are working hard to compensate for the loss of balance input, ordinary living can be tiring.  As we all know, mental stress/work is very debilitating for some, especially AN patients.  My healthy son (age 30) works as a supervisor in a call center and he gets tired of talking sometimes, so your recent fatigue may not be entirely AN related, although your suspicion is well-founded.  Other than getting enough sleep and eating healthy foods, I don't have any substantive suggestions.  However, that your employer penalized you for having doctor appointments seems a bit harsh.  I would protest that, if you haven't already, but I realize that the current  job market is bleak and you may not want to 'make waves' with your employer.   Still, if your doctor will consent to a telephone consultation, I would try doing that for no other reason than your peace of mind.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »
Hi Laura Lynn,

I know how the facial numbness feels, as I have exactly the same complaint these days about increased numbness. It is very annoying and these days I couldn't really associate it with fatigue, since I was back from vacation. Only that in my case I know what causes it (the AN still pressing on the trigeminal nerve). However I am not sure what would cause this post-surgery (perhaps some damage to the nerve?). When it gets too bad I have found that warm compresses do help. Maybe taking a break once in a while and do some massaging and warm compresses? I am also thinking that if the numbness is due to a damaged nerve, some sort of medication could help too, it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor about this.

I hope it improves soon.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:40:32 pm »
Laura Lynn,

All excellent advice you have received, but here is something that I do at least 20 times a day.  Take your first two fingers on each hand and gently start tapping at your temples, down along your cheek bones, to your nose, back up and down along your jaw line.  This helps me tremendously, I even do this around the back of my ears, the back of my head and neck to relieve stress and tension.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lauralynn

Re: Should I concerned?
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »
Thank you all that responded.  Thank you for your advice and thoughtfulness.  Just a quick update on things.  My neurologist ordered an mri which I had done 2 weeks ago.  I saw him last week and he said the mri showed that the little bit of the acoustic neuroma that is left is fine.  He did tell me though that there is a spot on my neck (this showed on the mri) and he is not sure what it is.  It's on the same side as the AN.  He wants me to have a biopsy done so he can find out what it is.  As far as the increase in numbness....he said it could be a number of things.  He did tell me it might be from the radiation that was done in july 2009.  I didn't realize that the radiation continues to work for 2 years after you have it done.  I'm continuing to look for another job so I don't have talk all day, which is a daily struggle.  All I can do is hope that I will find something soon.  I'm willing to do anything that doesn't require me to be on the phone all day.  I know one thing that is for sure is that my boyfriend is always there for me and is so supportive.  I am very thankful for that.  I'm very thankful for all of you also. 

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:01:42 am »
So sorry you are having so many problems and now more I to after a year was told I still have some residual left behind and my AN was much smaller than yours the doctors assured me it was gone but I had surgery so it would be completely removed... Just make sure you keep following the little bit of AN but hoping it will be fine and that the blood supply was cut off. As far as the spot on the neck I have been hearing a few people had this and I am sure the biopsy will be fine. I know it is difficult with a job that is not supportive along with talking all day I was an A/R person and had to be on the phone was difficult between the talking and trying to hear even in my good ear I guess the sounds in my partial loss just offset everything...

My prayers and thoughts will be with you and hoping the biopsy will be fine.

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.