Author Topic: Merry Acoustic Neuroma Christmas  (Read 3018 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Merry Acoustic Neuroma Christmas
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:29:50 am »
Dear Friends,

I wanted to wish all of you a Merry Christmas (or whatever religious tradition you observe) and a great, tumor-free new year! I can't imagine going through the before/during/after of an acoustic neuroma without all of you.   I just published a blog post recapping what I think are some of the funnier things about the acoustic neuroma experience.  Please drop by if you get a minute and say hi.

http://debsANadventure.blogspot.com

Debbi
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:56:11 am by sgerrard »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

grega

Re: Merry Acoustic Neuroma Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:37 pm »
Same to you Debbi, as well as to everyone who stops by your thread.  And thanks for blogging on the lighter side of AN .... funny!  ;D

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:55:22 pm »
Debbi ~

Thanks for the Christmas wishes and of course, the same to you and your family. 

I enjoyed reading your blog entries.  Your sense of humor was apparently unaffected by your surgery and subsequent obstacles.  :)  Very well done.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:10:47 pm »
Aw shucks ... thanks.  I think we all know that a sense of humor is imperative to getting through the brain tumor experience intact!  That, and friends who understand...

Merry Christmas!
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 08:05:55 am »
Merry Christmas to our AN Family, oxox :)

With Love,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:52:58 am »
Debbi -

it's been a while since I've read your blog and after reading it today all I can say is I'll have to read it more often  ;D

The entries are very good and I can related to them so well.

Wish Wendy would have gotten her BAHA before me because that little tip she gave you about the cap coming off accidentally would have saved me a frantic early morning call - and a road trip - to my doc's office to have him put my cap back on.  He probably thought I was a lunatic, I was freaking out so bad  :D He suggested that I have one of my kids snap it back on, but neither of them would even look at my head  ::)

Hope you and Willie have a great Christmas and that one of your favorite memories of 2011 will be your BAHA Gotcha Day.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:02 pm »
my favorite part ...

Whirling Dervish – okay, one of my personal favorites. You are in a store and hear your name being called. You start twirling around trying to locate the source of the sound. Doesn’t work, so the person helpfully calls out “over here.” Great. If I had directionality, do you really think I'd be whirling around like a freaking idiot
I have sometimes did a quick side to side look and if I don't see who is calling my name ignore them ... if they really want to talk to me they will come over ... some will think me rude and go home and call my best friend (this would be her MIL ) and ask why I dislike her and won't speak to her out in public ... I honestly just didn't see her when I did my side to side look in Wal-Mart but she swears I stared into her eyes and then looked away and walked off ...

if I allow myself to go into Whirling Dervish I run the risk going into Bobbing and Weaving which can lead to Stumbling and Falling into things or into people or to the ground  ...

keep up the good blogging ... like I have said often , If I don't laugh I may cry

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery