Author Topic: Questions for those who have had Gamma Knife  (Read 2824 times)

RAB

Questions for those who have had Gamma Knife
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:28:01 pm »
I am just a little over 3 months post procedure.

After 1 month I had a bout of sudden hearing loss.  Most of it returned after steroid treatment, however it is not as good as it was prior to the bout.  My hearing though, seems to fluctuate up and down frequently depending on the humidity, temperature, pressure and who knows what else. Also sometimes feels clogged or blocked, on and off.  I should mention that prior to GK, I felt clogged all the time.  Does anyone else experience frequent fluctuations and will it evenutually stabilize?

Also, as I reached 3 months post, I feel more headachey and fatigued lately than before.  Has anyone else experienced another round of symptoms after three months?  If so how long does it last?

Any insight will be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Rosemary :)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1 AN right side. 
Diagnosed 10/1/08
Gamma Knife 6/4/10
Penn Medicine-  Drs. Judy, Bigelow, Alonso-Basante

nanramone

Re: Questions for those who have had Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:58 pm »
Hi Rosemary -

I haven't been post-treatment much longer than you. I definitely have fluctuations in the feeling of pressure in my ear - as is the case with you, prior to GK I had a constant feeling of fullness. Now it pops, squeaks, and still feels full most of the time.

More noticeable is the range of tinnitus noise, which used to be constant, and now squeal, hums, and whistles, when previously it was more a constant static sound. It is still usually static, but sometimes gets momentarily loud. These changes occurred post GK.

I had total deafness in AN ear, disorientation, massive headache and imbalance two days after GK. I took steroids for one week, and problems resolved. I was told this immediate acute reaction is rare. I hope it doesn't happen again - it scared the daylights out of me.

I went to vestibular therapy for several months, which helped a lot. During the past week, I have been experiencing an increased recurrence of dizziness symptoms, which the therapist told me to expect. I am supposed to be doing my exercises daily, and have slacked off. My fault.

I think I lost more hearing, but have not been retested since GK. Maybe i'm imagining things. I'll find out soon, because I'm in school now and have trouble hearing in one of the labs. I am afraid to get a hearing aid, because I will have wasted my $ if I lose all my hearing in the AN ear...but I think I'll be optimistic and do it anyway, because I had a hearing aid before and loved it.

I hope this helps.

Nancy

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:41:37 am »
What you describe sounds completely normal.  Try not to be too concerned, but if you need confirmation I'd call your Dr. just to be sure.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:00 pm »
Hi Rosemary,
When I had my first post GK hearing test (6 months), my hearing had decreased slightly. Around the 3 month mark, I experienced vertigo, which lasted for a few weeks. I remember feeling fatigued after the vertigo spells, but only then. I had no full feeling in my ears, but I do remember the "ice pick" headaches.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Jeanbean

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:25:51 pm »
Hi Rosemary,   

I had GK on July 8, 2010 and I think that my hearing fluctuates.  I can't say that I have noticed any reason for the changes.  I feel more tired but probably due to being more active.  I have some balance problems and this does make me tired.  I do not have bad hearing loss but if I change ears during a phone conversation I do see a difference.  I try not to think about the whole situation but when I go for a walk with a friend I do have some tilt and veer issues.  Hope we all improve over time.  Jean
AN diagnosed 2-24-10
3mmX7mmX3mm right side
GK  7-8-10 at Providence Hosp. Portland, Or
Dr. McMenomey and Dr. Bader

RAB

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:21:40 am »
Thank you all for your helpful comments.  I have actually been feeling much better over the last few days so maybe (fingers crossed) the issues are resolving.  I have an appointment on Monday where I can discuss these issues, but it is always good to hear that others who have gone through it have similar symptoms. 
Rosemary :)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1 AN right side. 
Diagnosed 10/1/08
Gamma Knife 6/4/10
Penn Medicine-  Drs. Judy, Bigelow, Alonso-Basante