Author Topic: Choosing Doctor at House Ear Clinic  (Read 1649 times)

LizAN

Choosing Doctor at House Ear Clinic
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:30:26 pm »
I'm about to send my records off to House Ear Clinic for an evaluation.  The web site says to send the package with ATTN: Acoustic Neuroma Website Consultations, or something along those lines.  For those of you who did this in the past, and then chose to have surgery at House, were you able to choose your own doctor there and make an appointment with him directly, or did you have to go with whoever did your free evaluation?

And if you chose your own doctor at House, who did you choose and why?

Thanks!
Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

suz

Re: Choosing Doctor at House Ear Clinic
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:38:31 am »
Hi Liz,
I did not choose my doctor at House because I didn't know any of them! I was assigned to Dr. Rick Friedman and he was wonderful! I don't think you can go wrong with any doctor from House, but Friedman was exceptionally knowledgeable and personable. When I called house initially they did ask me who I wanted my consultation with - so I think that you could choose if you know who you want. I wish you luck! If there is anything that I can help you with about the "House Experience" then please "PM" me.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

cindyj

Re: Choosing Doctor at House Ear Clinic
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:41:55 am »
Hi, Liz!  When House receives your MRI pics, they do hand it to the next doc in the rotation, from what I understand.  However, you can definitely request that a particular doctor review them, if you'd like.  Just put that doc's name on your package.  I sent mine out there without a specific doc's name.  However, a couple of days after I sent it, I spoke w/ someone locally who had a relationship w/ Dr. Friedman and upon their suggestion, I requested that he review my MRI.  He was on vacation at the time, so couldn't review them for a week or so, but one of the other docs actually did call me immediately.  I did go w/ Friedman, however, after talking w/ him - just clicked and felt right for me.  As is normal with House patients, I didn't meet him until pre-op the day before surgery.  Whether you are just using them as a consult, or ultimately do choose to go out there for treatment, you will be in good hands.

Keep us updated on your decision - we know it's very tough, but you will know when you've made the right one!

Cindy

P.S. My sister lives in Austin!  If I'm ever out that way, I'll shout "hello" to you :)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings