Author Topic: Has anyone ever had a Cochlear Implant implanted in AN ear?  (Read 1609 times)

bubbles

Has anyone ever had a Cochlear Implant implanted in AN ear?
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:46:32 pm »
As some may remember me, I was diagnosed with a 2 cm x 2.1 cm acoustic neuroma and decided on cyberknife as my treatment plan. I went with that because of the better chance of hearing preservation. I feel I had a Great doctor at Stanford University, but not the best results. ;0). I did not retain ANY of my hearing and am totally deaf in both ears. Wow what a shock! Anyway my surgeon at Stanford wants  to surgically remove the tumor, very carefully, and during surgery implant a cochlear implant. Is anyone aware of anyone who has had this done. Especially after being treated with cyberknife? I am a little nervous and would love to hear someone else who may have had this done. :0)
Also, after having cyberknife I have since learned Most will loose their hearing, and many in both ears even after cyberknife. I really believe if I had known that i would have opted for surgery to begin with. But i made my decision and i am living with it.  Nothing is 100% certain. ;0)
So any information any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Wanda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Has anyone ever had a Cochlear Implant implanted in AN ear?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:26:33 pm »
Wanda -

I know people with CIs (Cochlear Implants) but none who are deaf as the result of AN treatment.  Most people who are deaf from AN treatment are SSD (single-sided deaf) so they require a BAHA.  CIs are for those who are bilaterally deaf.

My neurotologist regularly does Cochlear Implants, but I don't know if he's ever done one in conjunction with AN surgery.  He did both my AN surgery (retrosigmoid) and my BAHA implant surgery - but he's one of the docs who don't do the surgeries together.  He believes in doing them separately.  This is basically his preference - some docs combine AN & BAHA surgery, some don't.  I'd imagine it's the same way with AN & CI surgery. 

A great resource for Cochlear Implant candidates and patients - as well as BAHA candidates and patients - is the Cochlear Community.  It's a free discussion forum that I think you'll find very helpful (www.cochlearcommunity.com)

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:19:57 am »
Wanda,    I came close to having to have a CI.     NF2 people are candidates for them.       I am deaf on the right and due to having NF2 was almost all deaf on the left when had my surgery but the surgery improved my hearing which is not usual.   So I did not need it.  It was going to be done a month after my tumor was removed.     One has to have a working acoustic nerve for one to work.              I do know of a NF2 lady from Texas who had radiation and then later had the CI done at Johns Hopkins I think.       It did work some for her anyway.        I am not sure if her tumor was even removed.           I would ask your dr if he has done this before and if so how was the outcome?         You also might be a candidate for the auditory brain implant which House In LA was doing some of.       The hearing ability is not as good as a CI but does work for some NF2s.        Jeff on here has one and may be able to tell you more.                   I might be able to try and talk to this gal as think a friend might have her as a facebook friend.            I feel for you as it was not easy even when I had a little hearing left.
                                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:26:58 pm »
Wanda, I have the email address of the gal who had the CI past radiation and will send you a personal message with it so you can write to her.     She will gladly be of what help she can be to you.                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care