Author Topic: Facial nerve recovery: Muscle spasm???  (Read 7958 times)

Pembo

Facial nerve recovery: Muscle spasm???
« on: January 07, 2006, 01:10:25 pm »
I'm 19 months post op and my face has slowly been recovering. In the last week of so I've had a new development. My cheek gets really tight and hurts alot. When I massage the area the pain goes away. I think the muscles are pulling up my smile as well when it happens. The pain is in the upper jaw region.

Anyone had this? I hope it's a good sign but it sure is painful. Any suggestions?
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Rc Moser

Re: Facial nerve recovery: Muscle spasm???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 09:19:18 pm »
Pembo, IMO it can't be bad if you are getting feeling and movement. I had pains in places on my head I can't describe. Mine on occassions will twitch alittle, fell funny on that side, and sometimes tickle or tingle when I shave. I 28 months out, got about everything except full watering and lift. I can say I'm feeling better and my headaches are less intense. Migraine's arn't as bad now and I seem to able to get rid of the alittle quicker. My Daily prey is; A day without a Migraine is going to be a great DAY! anything else I can deal with.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

JHager

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 11:17:26 pm »
Hey Pembo,

As my eye began to recover, the lid would twitch uncontrollably.  Felt like I was flirting with everyone in the room.  Weird, but I was glad for the movement!

As recovery progressed, the twitching went away and now my eye is nearly back to normal.

Hope your recovery goes even better now!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

wadsy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:10:05 pm »
hey JHager,

When did the eyelid twitching start? How long after surgery? How long after surgery did eye your eye feel 'normal'?

Thanks

wadsy

Angela

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 12:52:36 pm »
Ooh, about 8 weeks post-op I had facial cramps and some muscles felt 'locked'.  Then it didn't happen anymore.  I'm 11 months post-op and still waiting... for something, anything!

Sometimes, the numbness changes.  I don't know how else to explain it because there is no movement.  I try but still nothing happens.  I do have to admit, the paralyzed side of my face looks younger without any lines >)

My surgeon said my face should move "in less than 6 months", then he said "within 1 year", now he says we should discuss nerve grafting.  Another surgery? I don't think so!

At 8 months, the EMG measured ~10%, which is better than the zero I had after surgery.  I go again next month and we'll see how it has improved.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

jzgirl

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 12:14:54 pm »
Hi all,I had Gamma on 2/27/06. I started 2 wks. ago with a film in my rt. eye and stuff floating in my visual field and strong facial spasms on rt. side. Spasms are getting more frequent and in my neck too.
Has anyone heard anything about this?  Radiologist put me on Prednisone 40mg.-5 days descending
10mg. every 5 days.
I see the Neurosurgeon with new MRI on Wed. Got any good questions to ask him?
jzgirl

themis1982

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 02:20:15 pm »
I have been experiencing a lot of twitching too, especially in my cheek. I am 17 months out and have my smile back about 25% on that side. At what point in recovery did all of you start experiencing twitching? Or did you experience this at all? (hahaha it started twitching like crazy as I was writing this)

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:45:17 am »
I started with my big twitching about 18 months or so. I've had a lot of recovery in the last 6 months. (I'll be 2yrs post op June 3).  Keep the faith.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

DetSgt224

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:19:17 pm »
I am nearly 12 months post op and have been dealing with eye twitches for some time...at about 6 months I started to notice my facial nerve recovery.  Paralysis on the left side and noticed my left eye start to twitch.  Now at a year, my right eye is starting to twitch uncontrollably.  My left eye is still pretty dry; have to use drops during the day and "gel" at night to keep it moist.  Have not had too much trouble with headaches and an MRI last week was clear.  Is anyone else having eye twitch on the opposite side?

Rayinpa37

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 09:56:00 pm »
had my surgery in 3/04.  Facial Palsy was bad problem for several months.. Physical Therapist got me a handhelp TENS machine to electrically stimulate the nerve endings and muscles..  to this day.. over 2 yrs later i still get the twitches.. hope they will end someday.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray Grace - age 40
Dunmore, Pa

1.9cm AN removed via Sub-Occipital Surgery
March 8th 2004
Dr. Robert Martuza, Massachusetts General Hospital
--Using CROS Hearing Aids