Author Topic: Proton Beam Radiation  (Read 7449 times)

Gus

Proton Beam Radiation
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 11:12:55 am »
I was diagnosed with a 7 mm AN in Sept 2010 with a 0.7 Tesla, so will get a redo in Feb 2011.
Howver, I did meet with ProCure in Oklahoma City and told that I was not a candidate, because my tumor was too small.
They said they like to see >15 mm tumor before they treat.
Has anyone heard of a size limitation for Proton Beam?

Gus
8x 16 mm AN on left side
Diagnosed September 2010
Wait and Watch until MRI showed 2 mm growth in July 2012
Surgery on Aug. 30, 2012 via middle fossa at MD Anderson; results showed the tumor to be a benign meningioma instead of a AC.  Hearing was saved; mild Tinnitus; Feel Very Blessed

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Proton Beam Radiation
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »
Gus ~

I'm not aware of a general minimum size limit for treating an acoustic neuroma with Proton Beam radiation.  I suspect that ProCure has decided to set their own limit on size, although I'm not certain of their rationale.  You might want to inquire about this.   Your AN is very small but should be treatable with radiation, if you choose it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tsl

Re: Proton Beam Radiation
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 11:22:36 am »
Hi Danielle,
I've sent you a personal message re my proton beam radiation experience at MGH. 
-Theresa (tsl)
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007