Author Topic: Shielding Other Parts of the Body  (Read 2850 times)

jbbrown15

Shielding Other Parts of the Body
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:26:38 pm »
My mother today questioned whether I should be having my body shielded, like at the dentist, when they do x-rays.  Before they turn the "beam" on, my techs take at least 2 x-rays, sometimes more if they need to readjust me to get me into place.  Then, of course, comes the stereotactic radiation. I wear my plastic mask, but nothing else (well, except for my clothes of course  :o).  She is especially concerned about my thyroid.  I'm having 26 treatments, so it all adds up.

Any thoughts? 
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Shielding Other Parts of the Body
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »
JB ~

Frankly, this is a question for your radiation oncologist.  However, I don't believe that a doctor and the personnel administrating the radiation would allow you to receive dangerous levels of radiation.  Still, for your own peace of mind, I would raise the question with those involved in administrating the radiation, as well as your radiation oncologist.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jbbrown15

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:37:01 pm »
I would agree, Jim.  But I was curious what other facilities do - whether they use any shields.
Jean
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:31:37 pm »
Didnt get any shielding when I got treated, and I don't think it would do much at all.
The radiation is highly focused and does not scatter much.
Google "Isodose" I believe 4Gy in a single dose is considered safe for healthy tissue and should not cause any problems
I believe anything outside the 25% isodose line is normally considered safe and should not be affected in anyway..

I am not a doctor please speak with your radiation oncologist.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

jbbrown15

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 01:27:11 pm »
I spoke with my radiation oncologist today, who of course explained that sheilding is not nessary.  He said that the x-rays that the dentist does send radiation out in a broad spray, while the x-rays and the stereotactic radiation on my brain are both pinpointed.  I will tell my mother the doctor said to stop worrying!

Jean

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:47:34 pm »
That is what mother's do best!!  It's an art form.   ;)

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode