Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed in West Virginia  (Read 5567 times)

tweety

Re: Newly Diagnosed in West Virginia
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 10:05:18 pm »
Hi!  I hope you liked Dr. Chen as he and Dr. Aziz were my surgeons. They are great !  I had the surgery for this and am glad it is over.  I can't hear much out of my right ear but I feel it is a small price to pay for a brain tumor. I was amazed at how little pain I had after surgery. I am going for my 4 month post op MRI tomorrow.  My AN was 7mmx4mm. Tweety

kraynok2

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 08:22:53 pm »
Hi everyone.  I forgot to say that my name is Sandy.  I have been reading all of the responses to my original post, but have not had the time to respond as I have been boggled down with school work.  I worked on report cards the other night until midnight!  I want to thank everyone who has responded.  I am so glad I found this site.  I will be going to the WV support group meeting on November 6.  I had my appointment with Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz this past Wednesday.  The difference from my consult with the surgeon in WV was like night and day.  With a hearing test, seeing both doctors and tons of paper work, we were there close to 3 hours.  They did not rush us.  I did not even have to ask my 2 pages of questions, as Dr. Chen had answered all of them in his discussion about acoustic neuromas.  Both my husband and myself were very pleased with the visit.  Since my brother had a stint put in for his heart and my father passed away at the age of 52 of a massive heart attack (he had rheumatic fever untreated as a child), Dr. Aziz wants me to get clearance from a cardilologist first.  So, one more doctor to see.  I will be having translab surgery at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh on November 16.  I'm nervous, but glad to be getting this over with. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 08:51:51 am »
Sandy -

IMO doctors who take a lot of time with their patients when necessary are doctors you want to hang on to.  I still remember my first appointment with my neurotologist.  He could tell how freaked out I was by my AN diagnosis, yet despite a waiting room full of patients he didn't rush me at all and he answered all of my questions.  He also told me to call him anytime if I had more questions or any concerns. 

I'm glad you have found a wonderful doctor and have decided on your treatment option.  These are sometimes two of the hardest steps in the AN Journey.

You'll find that as you move down the path towards surgery and recovery that having a doctor you have confidence in, and are comfortable with, is a big asset.

Good luck with your surgery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 10:46:10 am »
Sandy,
Sounds like a good plan. Peaceful wishes to you. Sounds like you have your hands full until then, which is probably good to stay busy and focused.
Any questions about what to bring to the hospital?
We've seen that one a lot!
Chapstick, eye lubrication just in case are the number two choices!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

tweety

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 07:51:48 pm »
Sandy,  Good luck on your surgery.  You are in great hands.  Both of these surgeons put my mind at ease and they are truly patient and kind.  Go into this with a positive attitude and you will do well.  Listen to what they tell you.  Practice your physical therapy and when you can go outside and walk do it daily as it helps with depth perception and also the balance issues.  I found navigating the house rather easy but the outdoors was another issue for a few weeks and I feel that is because it has no boundaries like the house, wall, ceiling and floor.  When your hearing, and balance nerves are altered you lose some of that perception and it takes a while to return.  Be patient with yourself.  I am 5 month post op Nov 8th and am working full time as a nurse.  I am standing on chairs and up on ladders cleaning.  I still avoid lifting heavy things but have progessed nicely.  Good luck and you are in my prayers.   Tweety   (Nancy)

uvawfu

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 12:01:23 pm »
Hi.  You are in luck.  Dr. Takanori Fukushima is on faculty at WVU in Morgantown.  He has performed over 1400 AN surgeries.  He also practices here in Raleigh, so I was lucky enough to have him as my 2nd surgeon (he removed my 4cm tumor).  Look him up at http://www.carolinaneuroscience.com/index.htm   You can talk with his office manager, Lori about when he will be in WV.
40 year old male
AN - 4cm left side - removed March 11, 2010
Retrosigmoid approach
Drs. Margraf and Fukushima -- Raleigh, NC
Vestibular PT for 2 months at UNC-Chapel Hill
3-month MRI confirmed tumor completely removed
Deaf in left ear with minor balance issues and left side weakness