Author Topic: Proton Beam Therapy  (Read 2276 times)

TheWife

Proton Beam Therapy
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:33:11 am »
Hi,

My husband was diagnosed with an AN six years ago.  The tumor was only 9 mm (discovered inadvertantly during an MRI), but has slowly grown to 1.5 cm.  When he was first diagnosed, we had never heard of AN, and of course knew nothing about treatment options.  We spent quite a bit of time trying to educate ourselves online, and went to Johns Hopkins to speak with both a surgeon and a radiologist there - both recommended their own specialty as the best option (naturally!), so we left with no clear answers.

He's had MRI's each year to monitor tumor growth, which has been slow but steady.  Now that his local doctor has said it's time for him to undergo treatment, we are trying to re-educate ourselves, and it seems as though the options haven't changed that much, with the exception of the addition of Proton Beam Therapy to the list of choices.  My husband is very much hoping to keep his hearing and facial nerve intact.  He already has poor hearing in both ears, which is not related to the AN, so hearing is critical.  I'm wondering what experiences you may have had with Proton Beam, or Gamma/Cyber Knife, or the various methods of surgery, that have left hearing/facial nerves working.  I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Laurie

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
Re: Proton Beam Therapy
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:53:59 pm »
I can't help but stress that your own research and investigating will get you exactly what you need.  In the mean time, here is an article just published today in a newspaper regarding the treatment.  Sounds promising except for the money it costs per machine.  I had never heard of it until you wrote of it.. Best of luck!!!
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/israel-rejects-cancer-treatment-successfull-in-u-s-1.325984
Rhonda
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

TheWife

Re: Proton Beam Therapy
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:52:16 am »
Thanks Rhonda!  I agree, there are lots of options and they need to be investigated.  Gone are the old days when you just did whatever the local doctor said.  It looks like you have decided on the CyberKnife approach - I wish you the best of luck with your treatment!