Author Topic: paper says "Marital status associated with a higher incidence of AN for men..."  (Read 5783 times)

annamaria

Folks,

Funnydream may be right... below is a brand new study (I include these papers for educational purposes) that looked at expose to electomagnetic fields (e.g., like those from old TVs and computer CRTs -- but also from MANY other sources including hair driers) and impact on tumors, including acoustic neuromas ... it says what I think we all already knew -- although this may not be the specific reason anyone here was impacted by this -- that living very close to power lines (and trust me, very close to cell towers) can cause brain tumors ...

Annamaria

= = = = =

Int J Cancer. 2010 Nov 12. [Epub ahead of print]

Occupational and residential exposure to electromagnetic fields and risk of brain tumours in adults: A case-control study in gironde, france.
Baldi I, Coureau G, Jaffré A, Gruber A, Ducamp S, Provost D, Lebailly P, Vital A, Loiseau H, Salamon R.

Laboratoire Santé Travail Environnement (EA 3672), Institut de Santé Publique, d'Épidémiologie et du Développement, IFR99, Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France.

Abstract
The aetiology of brain tumours remains largely unknown. Among potential risk factors, exposure to electromagnetic fields is suspected. We analysed the relationship between residential and occupational exposure to electromagnetic field and brain tumours in adults.A case-control study was carried out in southwestern France between May 1999 and April 2001. A total of 221 central nervous system tumours (105 gliomas, 67 meningiomas and 33 neurinomas) and 442 individually age and sex-matched controls selected from general population were included. Electromagnetic field exposure (ELF and RF separately) was assessed in occupational settings through expert judgement based on complete job-calendar, and at home by assessing the distance to power lines with the help of a geographical information system. Confounders such as education, use of home pesticide, residency in a rural area, and occupational exposure to chemicals were taken into account.

Separate analyses were performed for gliomas, meningiomas and acoustic neurinomas.

A non-significant increase in risk was found for occupational exposure to EMF (OR=1.52, 0.92-2.51).

This increase became significant for meningiomas, especially when considering ELF separately (OR=3.02; 95 percent CI =1.10, 8.25). The risk of meningioma was also higher in subjects living in the vicinity of power lines (<100m), even if not significant (OR=2.99, 95% CI 0.86, 10.40).These data suggest that occupational or residential exposure to ELF may play a role in the occurrence of meningioma.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
And don't forget to consider this information as well....

I've posted this before and I'm posting it again because it needs to be:

There is an interesting and disturbing article in the October 2006 issue of National Geographic entitled "The Pollution Within" by David Ewing Duncan.

The author was subjected to a series of special and very expensive blood tests designed to detect trace amounts of 320 chemicals that he may have picked-up from food, drink, air and various products that we all come in contact with every day. Included are older chemicals that he might have been exposed to decades ago, such as DDT and PCBs; pollutants like lead, mercury and dioxins.; newer pesticides and plastic ingredients; and the compounds that lurk just beneath the surface of modern life, making shampoos fragrant, pans nonstick, and fabrics water-resistant and fire-safe.

He said the tests are too expensive for most individuals. National Geographic had paid for his, which would normally cost around $15,000 and only a few labs have the technical expertise to detect the trace amounts involved. He ran the tests to learn what substances build up in a typical American over a lifetime, and where they might come from.

He also said: "Yet even though many health statistics have been improving over the past few decades, a few illnesses are rising mysteriously. From the early 1980s through the late 1990s, autism increased tenfold; from the early 1970s through the mid-1990s, one type of leukemia was up 62 percent, male birth defects doubled, and childhood brain cancer was up 40 percent. Some experts suspect a link to the man-made chemicals that pervade our food, water, and air. There's little firm evidence. But over the years, one chemical after another that was thought to be harmless turned out otherwise once the facts were in."

His results are disheartening to say the least with far too much information to recount and transcribe here. I have however, found a link to the article on the net. So here it is for your review....

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2006/10/toxic-people/duncan-text.html

The fact that we are saturated with noxious chemicals is nothing new. I thought that the blood tests the author had undergone, while not conclusively proving a link with certain diseases, provide a more in-depth illustration”or indication”as to what the root/cause of many diseases may be that afflict our society now more than ever before—A.N.s included.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:58:57 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

nftwoed

Hi FunnyDream;

Of course I'm just kidding, but I think your statement ( "my 2010 tree frog brain" ) in regards to a goodly part of your anatomy begs a question: Did you gain this brain normally at birth, or, has it evolved since marriage?

Re, men, marriage and ANs; I've been married twice and have NF-2. Do you suppose.....? Yes; I have the brain of a prize fighter. : )

nftwoed

Crazycat

That was a typo. I think he may have meant "fog".
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

Tumbleweed

Here is a new paper, that is somewhat obscure to interpret. I think it says that if you are "educated" you discover your AN earlier (by having better access to medical care?)

Annamaria

= = = = = =

We found that IRRs decreased gradually with decreasing level of education, with values of 0.62 (95% CI: 0.49-0.78) for men and 0.62 (95% CI: 0.50-0.77) for women with a basic education compared with a higher education. Similar results were found for disposable income.

Marital status was associated with a higher incidence of VS in men but not women; nonmarried men with a basic education had an IRR of 0.34 (95% CI: 0.23-0.50) compared with married men with a higher education. Lower incidence rates were also observed among unemployed or early-retirement pensioners...

Thanks for posting this research, Annamaria.

According to Wikipedia: "The incidence rate is the number of new cases per population in a given time period."

If one assumes that people across all demographics receive the same health care in Denmark, then this article infers that less-educated people have a lower incidence of ANs, as do unmarried men, cash-strapped people, the unemployed and those who retire early. Makes me wish I were an ignorant, out-of-work bachelor.  ;D

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Crazycat

Hey, I'm an ignorant, out-of-work bachelor. Lot of good it did me!