Author Topic: Some reinforcement ..please?  (Read 2798 times)

kathleen anna

Some reinforcement ..please?
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:51:21 am »
Hello again...  Hope all is well with everyone!   I am now 9 weeks post op and am getting a little anxious about returning to work.  I will go back part time on Dec 13th and resume full time on Jan 3rd.  I am a supervisor for a customer service department.  Stress level??-----High!  Here is my question...I have been getting more and more active, walking, driving, shopping etc and I still feel my stamina is really low.   For example, this morning I went to the food store at 7:25, came home, put everything away, had a visit from my 2 young grandchildren.  It is now 9:30 am and I feel heavy headed and pretty tired.  I am wondering how long it takes until the energy comes back!  And when does this "heavy headed feeling" go away?  Am I going to feel tired all day at work???  I know some days I feel more active than others, but I am really concerned about work......Will I need to take the "power nap" during the day????  Any suggestions on how to work thru this.....mentally and physically??   

Thanks, as always!   Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving........Kathleen Anna

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Some reinforcement ..please?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:15:49 am »
Kathleen Anna .....

It sounds like you are doing amazingly well ..... walking, driving, shopping, etc.  You are very wise to resume working part time for a couple of weeks before returning full time.  My guess is you will be very tired at first, but you will build up more stamina as you go along.

I hope you can take breaks to just sit down and close your eyes in a quiet environment for 5-10 minutes ..... most of the time that is all it takes for me to be rejuvenated.  Most, if not all, of us are operating at a higher energy level just to stay upright and deal with hearing issues.  In my opinion, that saps our reserves more quickly and the brain needs a break to readjust/rest.

Not sure how much age is a factor, but it stands to reason the better you are physically, the easier the transition back to work will be.  Just do not push it if you find it is just too much.  Better to take a bit longer to let your body heal.

By the way, grocery shopping is still a very stressful thing for me ..... the narrow aisles, looking up and down the shelves, the noise, etc.  I always sit down and rest when I get home.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:25:13 am »
By the way, grocery shopping is still a very stressful thing for me ..... the narrow aisles, looking up and down the shelves, the noise, etc.  I always sit down and rest when I get home.

Best thoughts.  Clarice

I'm about 7 weeks post-op. 16 hour surgery. And yes, grocery shopping put me down a good while. Not only the store (Walmart) . But coming home and carry everything in and put it all up. And you have to get it done. Or the icecream will melt. haha.

I have allot more fatigue than I expected at this point. Someone posted a link to a pdf file on brain surgery giving people fatigue.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:04:43 am »
Kathleen:

I was out for 2 months after my surgery. When it was time return to work, I honestly didn't feel I was ready. I went back as scheduled & got that heavy-headed feeling alot. Fatigue got the better of me often. It helped to take my breaks & apply some heat to my neck. I have a desk job & having to look at the monitor then my desk, then the monitor, then my desk made me dizzy, but it was vestibular therapy, too. So eventually it got better.

It turns out that getting back to my daily routine helped me with my recovery. It certainly helps if you have an understanding boss, when you need to take longer breaks than usual.

I still get that heavy-headed feeling, even 2.5 yrs post-op. Whenever you can squeeze in a break or power nap, do it.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:44:16 am »
I am 3 months post-op and still feel heavy headed at times. When I first wake up in the morning I feel pretty good and my balance is usually good also. As the day goes on I get that wonky feeling, balance starts to go away ( I still walk with a cane ) and fatigue sets in. I have come to terms with these conditions and think they will be with me for a long time.

Take it easy and rest when you can.

Keith
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:38:51 pm »
I thought I posted this a while ago...hmmm...guess I didn't hit the right button!  ???

I would suggest alternating your 1/2 days between mornings and afternoons...that way you can rest your body a bit (sleep in, if needed) and also see where the problem areas might lie - getting ready, traffic, lunch rush, etc.  I feel like it is easier to handle ANYTHING when you know where the "rough" areas might be!

Just my opinion!
;D

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cecile k

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 12:04:28 am »
Hi Kathleen:

It's good that you start work part time and I would not return to work full time until you feel entirely at ease with it. I'm amazed at what you are all doing already, just nine weeks post op. Do you also have to deal with headaches, along with fatigue?

I was a stay at home mom of five boys (then ages 4 through 14) when I went in for AN surgery. It was the most challenging recovery, especially the fatigue and headaches....It's been nine years now but I still have headaches and fatigue but to a much lesser degree. I'm very grateful that I did not have to return to the work force. Keeping up with five boys (now all teenager/adults) is work enough :-)....laundry, baking bread (LOTS), meals, etc.... We live very frugally so that I can stay at home and it works for us.

All the best! Take care of yourself and I hope that you have an understanding boss. You could print off some posts from this site and have your boss read those. I have done this with some people who just don't understand my situation and think I should be back to my normal self - whatever normal is after AN surgery!

Cecile

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 06:19:38 am »
Hey! It sounds like you are doing very well!! As you can tell, everyone has a different experience when it comes to this sort of thing. I don't think I truly felt I had my full Mojo back until about 6 months out. It could have been sooner than that but I suddenly realized one day that I was doing a lot better.  It sneaks up on you, it's kind of like a long dragged-out cold, you know....you are really bad for a few days and then the worse of the symptoms start going away.  Then the sniffles are the only thing left...but then you realize one day that even those are gone, you don't remember exactly when they stopped. Same thing with me and my head and stamina. So just try to ease into your work routine, if you go in full force,  you'll probably feel it, maybe even feel like taking a couple of steps backwards...but, like I said, everyone is different. Just listen to your body and get lots of rest! Hope it all goes well, let us know how it goes!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston