Author Topic: Post-CK Symptom "Flare Ups"  (Read 2358 times)

fbarbera

Post-CK Symptom "Flare Ups"
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:48:16 am »
Hello All,

Just wanted to post about my recent experience with a "flare up" of symptoms a little more than 3 years after my CK procedure.  

I had been feeling basically symptom free for a while, maybe almost a year, when last month, I suddenly started feeling my old AN-related symptoms, such as head fullness and dizziness and feeling kind of like my head is a bowling ball.  The symptoms were as intense as I was feeling in my first few months after treatment.  It was pretty unsettling and scary as well.

I contacted Dr. Chang and he assured me that this kind of flare up is not uncommon in CK patients.  It is highly variable, in the sense that there is no telling who will get them or when, but it does happen.   He said these flare ups are due to the fact that the nerves in the AN area are generally weakened and damaged, so that relatively minor disturbances may set off an episode of symptoms.  These flare ups can last anywhere from 3 weeks to several months (Dr. Chang said he has seen them last up to 8 months), with 2 months being the average duration.

In terms of addressing them, Dr. Chang generally recommends just waiting them out.  Sometimes he will do steroids but this doesn't "cure" the issue since after the meds wear off, the nerve inflammation returns.  However, this can be useful to rule out regrowth, since if the meds work, it means the problem is inflammation and not tumor regrowth.  Naturally, he also recommends our regular MRI check-ups to ensure there is no regrowth.  

Dr. Chang told me he has a forthcoming paper addressing his most recent CK results - they show a tumor control rate of about 98%, so the statistical results are still amazing.  

I found all of this information helpful - because it was just nice to know my experience was within the realm of normal and expected.  I pass this along for those of you who may experience similar episodes.

Also, I am going to be posting an in-depth interview with Dr. Chang on my website within the next month.  I will start a separate thread to see if there are questions you would like addressed.

Best wishes to our health and well-being on all levels!

Francesco  

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:27:44 pm by fbarbera »

lalehjg

Re: Post-CK Symptom "Flair Ups"
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:56:26 pm »
Hi Francesco.

I am so sorry to hear you have had a flare up long after radiation, but glad to learn that, as you say, the flare up is not totally out of the ordinary.  I want to thank you for writing this post and letting us all know how you are doing.  Also, I have to thank you for your blog regarding your CK experience and beyond, which blog was instrumental in helping me come to the decision of having CK, and of having it with Drs. Chang and Soltys.  I was so happy to learn from your blog that you could dance salsa again and hike.  I myself have so many balance and dizziness issues now that I can't image dancing or hiking at high altitudes again (apparently the brain swells up at high altitutdes), but seeing your blog really calmed me down.

I have posted about my post-CK experiences on this forum on a number of occasions, and recently here:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=13940.0

I had CK with Drs. Chang and Soltys in April of this year for a 1.6 mm by 5 mm AN (in that neighborhood anyway - I can never get it right to the millimeter), and I've been having some issues, especially recently facial issues which I've always been terrified about, but thankfully, Drs. Chang and Soltys got back to me immediately and let me know this is normal and temporary.

Hang in there, and do take heart.  After all, we have a brain tumor, and we are doing really well, considering.

Take care.

Laleh
12 mm x 4 mm diagnosed 1/25/10
CK at Stanford 4/7-4/9/10 - Drs. Chang and Soltys
Measured 14 mm x 6 mm at time of treatment

fbarbera

Re: Post-CK Symptom "Flair Ups"
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:22:50 pm »
Hello Laleh,

Thanks for your note - don't worry, things will get much better and you will soon be hiking and dancing.  In my experience, you are in the bumpiest patch right now - a few more months will bring much relief....

I am glad my site was helpful to you - I appreciate being able to support others on this exciting journey :)

Blessings to you and all readers for a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Francesco 

Tumbleweed

Re: Post-CK Symptom "Flare Ups"
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 09:36:43 pm »
Hey, Francesco!

Thanks so much for posting your very helpful information. It concurs with what Dr. Chang told me last week about late-term flare-ups but adds a lot more useful information. It's just this kind of information that helps all us CK-ers know what to expect might happen down the road and why, and to not get unduly freaked out by it.

Please let us all know when your interview with Dr. Chang is posted to your website. I'm extremely interested in reading that!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08