Author Topic: fatigue  (Read 3679 times)

kawman600

fatigue
« on: December 01, 2010, 02:00:29 pm »
I just had my year and a half check up and MRI and all is good !I am back to doing almost everything that i used to do(I still continue to do all kinds of therapy for my balance ,i do this at the gym where i work out at_I get a lot of strange looks) but i still don't seem to have the stamina that i used to,does anybody else expierenxce this and does anybody have any suggestions,Thanks

ombrerose4

Re: fatigue
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:02:59 pm »
I am 14 mos. post op and still have issues with fatigue. Some days I just have to take a nap or just lay down and rest for a few minutes. I believe it is all part of the healing process, even this far out.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:49:29 pm »
Kawman600 ~

Funny you should ask.  :)

Although I've never been the type to work out at the gym (or at home) I was in very good health (22.8 BMI, good BP, no heart or joint issues, etc) prior to my AN diagnosis/surgery and radiation.  All went well with a rapid recovery.  However, one thing I've noticed is that I simply do not have the same level of stamina that I once had.  I attribute this partly to my age (67) and the fact that I've never been 'athletic' but I have to believe that some of it is simply due to going through a very serious, intense 9-hour surgery (as well as the radiation, which was uneventful).

I'm retired but hardly sedentary.  I move a lot, like to walk, eat sensibly and don't drink or smoke, although I do consume a lot of coffee.  Oh, and I sleep like a baby for 7-8 hours every night.  Happily married for 40 years, too.  :)

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions as to how one increases his stamina but I assume that your daily workouts should help.  However, I would consider the possibility that, at 55, following a serious operation, you many have to adjust to living with a slightly lower level of stamina. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

free2be

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:59:02 am »
A couple of thoughts, FWW. I have severe fatigue. Mine is in part from Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency); so, I have a bit of a different viewpoint on all this. I did not have surgery, thankfully because I imagine that would have made it even worse. I'm only 2 months out from CK radiation; so, it's hard to know right now how much is from the radiation and how much from the Addison's. I see a Naturopath to try to help support my system naturally as much as possible.

For fatigue there are several nutritional items that can help. B vitamins are very important (I AM NOT A DOCTOR and so take this as information I have acquired and use). I take a B-complex supplement plus B-12 as it is important for energy as well as nerve health and repair. Vitamin C is good for energy, but need to take a fair amount, like several 1000 mg a day. I generally don't get that much in me, but take 1-2 thousand anyway. Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? That is becoming more and more noted as an important indicator of overall wellbeing as well as many other things. Mine is low; I take a large amount prescribed in a weekly dose by my GP, but it doesn't get "high."

One other thought: I have become a proponent of seeing an endocrinologist. The hormone system controls every aspect of our working bodies. Despite my complaints and even suggesting that my adrenals might be an issue, my GP did not see a problem. It wasn't until I saw an endocrinologist that I found out my body was not producing Cortisol, essential for stress; in fact, I was near an adrenal crisis which left unchecked can be deadly. Other glands control proper hormone production that affects how we feel so much, like the Thyroid. GPs do not look at these issues close and thorough enough. There could be other things going on that affect us and after the stress of a major surgery who knows what might be thrown off in the endocrine system. So...I just believe that a complete check up by an endocrinologist may be well worth the effort.

That's my two cents and then some.

Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

moe

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:49:44 am »
Lots of posts on post op fatigue, if you want to go searching. ::)
I think one of the biggest factors, as mentioned in a different post, is the fact that our brain is working overtime, though we don't realize it, ..... to stay balanced or hear what is going on in a conversation (if you are SSD), or deal with tinnitus (me), or whatever. So the fatigue is a normal reaction. A daily nap is in my routine, just to shut the brain down. I don't have a problem going back to sleep at night. Though I was fatigued before surgery, and basically my whole life :D
All about getting used to the "new you" and accepting the limitations. Harder for guys than girls, sometimes.
Happy balancing :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 11:52:53 am »
Kawman600:

I still feel fatigue once in a while, even at 2.5 yrs post op. I take vitamins daily & try to eat sensibly. I, too, believe that our bodies (brains & vestibular systems) work harder to keep us upright & to hear what goes on around us. When I'm around tiny tots, I'm very exhausted afterwards. I don't necessarily play with them, it's the noise that is very exhausting for me. Going x-mas shopping in stores that have very loud music wears me out. It even gives me headaches.

I also beleive that the post-op me will never be the same as the pre-AN me, but I know that the recovery still continues & am aware that it doesn't happen on its own. I have to continue with my vestibular therapy because when I take breaks from it, the wonki-headedness gets worse. My ENT told me it's something I need to do all the time.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »
Connie makes a very good point: you should consider seeing an endocrinologist to make sure there isn't some imbalance causing your problem. An overactive thyroid gland can cause severe fatigue. Some of the other symptoms of an over-active thyroid include weight loss, diarrhea, insomnia, heart palpitations and heightened anxiousness. If this rings a bell personally, definitely see a doctor ASAP; it can easily be reversed with the proper treatment.

For general fatigue, you can try taking Rhodiola rosea, a natural herbal extract available in some health food stores. I had severe fatigue immediately after getting CK. After struggling with it for a couple weeks, I discovered Rhodiola (someone on this forum suggested it) and began taking it. With the very first dose, it cut my fatigue fully in half! YMMV, but a few people on this forum have reported similar results. Rhodiola has no caffeine content and has no side effects, with one caveat: don't take it past, say, 2 PM or it might keep you awake at night.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 10:16:51 pm »
Fatigue! Yup!
I am 20 + years post op and this has remained as an issue for me. I often just need to go lie down for a nap, not matter what is going on. I personally just think this is normal, our brains are working constantly to accomidate for our deficits and so we're TIRED!
My suggestion is just "go with the flow", nap when you need to.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

cecile k

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 11:53:21 pm »
Post op nine years and dealing with fatigue a lot! Doesn't help that I have five boys with an abundance of energy. I'm blessed to be a stay at home mom and just nap if I need it. I also struggle with headaches which doesn't help either.

Sundays our boys take home their friends after church...today 9 guys around the table (ages 16 - 23)....sigh.....maybe I should stop cooking!

cecile

Mark241

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:51:22 am »
Like Free2be stated, I found B12 and a B complex really improved my fatigue issues, also maintaining a work-out routine has its' benifits. The B vitimine group adds in creating more energy from the foods you eat, and also reduces stress, like a workout also does. Sometimes though the body says' lay down and relax, always listen to the body. Good Luck to you.   
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w