Author Topic: 1 week post-op  (Read 3954 times)

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
1 week post-op
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »
6-1/2 hour surgery--retrosig, left side 2.1 cm on Nov. 30.  Age 60+.  Some nausea and vomiting first 2 days.  Wicked, wicked headache requiring the big drugs every 4 hours up until today; trying to get by on regular Tylenol. Constipated, of course.  Neuro blames headaches on post-surgical swelling and because I also have avascular necrosis, does not want to give me steroids.

I think the hearing is gone; tinnitus of course is still here.  Balance no worse than before and that was manageable.  Some facial weakness, improving every day.  I have been monovision for some years, using a contact for distance in right eye and nothing in left eye, so it did the close-up vision.  But now it doesn't.  Will give it more time.  That's what everyone says.

Mentally, unhappy, as I am a Type-A personality and enforced rest and not being 100% good-to-go do not agree with me.  After reading other posts, I guess I will go count my blessings.  :-\
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 1 week post-op
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 01:27:38 pm »
Hi, Cakulmom ~

I'm sorry to learn that you're having some not-uncommon 'issues' post-op but apparently the surgery was otherwise successful.  At this stage of recovery, time is your friend.  It does get better but never as fast as we would prefer.  As a 'Type A' personality, post-op I was also eager to 'get my life back'.  I did - and so will you.  Oh, your life maybe slightly different but you'll get through this, I'm certain.  Meanwhile, try to keep us informed of your progress.  Thanks. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:46:44 pm »
Hi cakulmom .....

As a fellow Type-A personality, I can share your frustration with not being able to get up and go right on like before.  Recovery from AN surgery is rarely fast, but it usually is a steady uphill improvement.  This is one time when it is really important to listen to your body and not push beyond the limits.  I was so used to operating in high mode, it was a challenge to slow it down ..... but I did and I had an uneventful recovery.

You will get through this and I pray the headaches leave quickly!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:53:59 pm »
Karen -

congrats on your postie status!

I know how tough it is to lay low and have patience during recovery from AN surgery.  I'm a certified control-freak and it was SO hard to let others do things for me.  I found it was even harder to just relax and recover  :P

But it's totally necessary.  AN surgery is major surgery (like I need to tell you that) and your body and brain are healing.  As hard as it is, listen to your body and don't overdo it.   

For the constipation try Colace.   My doc has patients start taking it before they are even released from the hospital.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:30:53 am »
Thank you everyone for giving me encouragement to be more patient (not my strongest attribute). 
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 09:28:05 am »
Cakemom,

As another TYPE A it is hard to step down & let other people in.  It is also important to take care of YOURSELF ONLY for the next weeks.  Everything else can wait.  Listen to your inner self & try to get TONS of rest.  The brain needs alot of down time to heal.  VERY HARD TO DO!
Hopefully your headaches are getting better. 
Thinking of you,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Mark241

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 11:09:05 am »
Type A might be factor with having AN's :D. I found that was prob the toughest part of recovery. I would do a lot of stretching and listing to soft music. I'm not sure what part of the country your in, but I always try to scheduale my surgeries in the winter so I wouldnt feel like I was missing out on good weather. Your doin great, time passes fairly quickly, speedy recovery to you.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 06:35:08 pm »
Yes, staying down DOES suck, doesn't it? :)  This is the time for you to listen to your body, and get lots of rest.  Funny that your doc didn't want to push steroids on you especially if you are swelling.  Take care and let us know how it's going!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

kraynok2

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »
I agree with all the other posts--get the rest you need.  I am 3 1/2 weeks post op.  Even if I sleep in, I'm quite tired by noon.  Give yourself time to heal.  My check-up was good and I was told that I could slowly start to do some things.  So my husband and I stopped at a Macy's since I have not been able to go to any stores and the closest Macy's to us is 2 hours away.  Well, I could not believe how tired I was just walking around the store.  We ate out and I could not wait to get home and plop down on the couch! ::)  Even though I think I could do more, I remind myself that it is going to take time.  Hang in there.  You would not believe how fast time does go.  I wonder where 3 1/2 weeks have gone.  Good luck to you as you join those of us in the recovery phase.
Sandy

kaitysmom

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »
I'm a month today post op.  My energy level is increasing.  But, some days all I want to do is lay around.  I'm type A as well and this is killing me.  But, i go back to work on the 3rd of January and my time to rest will be gone, si I'm taking full advantage of it.  This time will fly by.  Try to enjoy it. 

Jody