Author Topic: 6 mo. MRI  (Read 1888 times)

Stephanie

6 mo. MRI
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:55:12 pm »
Had my 6 mo. MRI last week, figured if I didn't hear from the doctor it was good news. The doctor called yesterday : ( 6:00 at night (never good).
Good news is there is still no sign of my tumor, they got it all and there is no regrowth. Ya!
Bad news... my pituitary is on the "upper end of normal" and I have lumps on my Lymph Nodes. The doctor said the lumps appear to be benign. I asked what the "upper end of normal" meant for a pituitary and he said that means a possible tumor!!! He said my AN tumor was compressing everything so much that the pituitary issue may not have been detectible in the previous MRI.
This news was from my AN surgeon, who is great, but he can't do anything because he is not my primary doctor. He did call my primary to discuss the MRI but now I have to wait 2 weeks to get in at my Primary's (not so great).
Crossing my fingers and hoping its nothing : )

Just 1 yr. ago I had no idea what an AN and had never had an MRI in my life, I want to go back to that time!
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 6 mo. MRI
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:07 pm »
Stephanie ~

I'm so sorry to learn that your MRI was a good news/bad news situation and that although there is no re-growth (the good news) :)  the scan discovered other problems previously unnoticed (the bad news).  :(

I trust that this perplexing development can be handled quickly and successfully.  Thanks for the update and please keep us posted on the developments (good or not-so-good).  Thanks.

Jim

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:40:06 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »
Stephanie,     I had my first AN surgery in 2001 and my first yearly MRI showed a small pituitary tumor.     I was sent to a neurosurgeon and said we would keep watch as I had no other symptoms.     I was even sent to an endocrinologist who spent most of the time talking about ANs to the resident and ordered lab work which was normal.       This caused me though to have MRIs every 6 mos x2.     The pituitary tumor never showed up again.     However my very small AN on the other side was found and my NF2 diagnosis was made.      I feel my guardian angel was there to make sure I had MRIs and that AN was found.    Do not take this as you being NF2 but that you may or may not have a pituitary tumor.             They can be removed going thru the nose now if in time this does show up.          I know it is scary to get  such news and hope for the best for you!
                                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Stephanie

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 03:37:56 pm »
This forum is so helpful! No matter what you are going through there seems to be someone with a similar situation. I am very grateful for that (not the situations but the information that comes from them). Thank you Cheryl for sharing, I see my primary doctor on 1/31 who will probably start referals to the neurosurgeon and endocrinologist according to the surgeon who gave me the news.  Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, I just started back to work from the last surgery, they will love me if I have to miss more work for another.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:43:58 pm by Stephanie »
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10