Author Topic: Looking for current recommendations for family at House  (Read 2603 times)

psmix

Looking for current recommendations for family at House
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:37:49 pm »
I have a translab scheduled at House in Feb 2011. I'm looking for some current info to help my family plan their stay while I'm in the hospital, and their wait while I'm in surgery. I've seen some older posts on the Seton guest center. Has anyone been their recently? How are the amenities like internet access? Also, what's the waiting room situation like at St. Vincents? Can they get on the internet while they wait? How's the food at the cafeteria? My husband and my two teenage children will be with me.

I had a ten hour surgery in September (not at House), and know that the whole family will go through this experience together. I've found lots of information for patients, but also want my family to be as comfortable as possible!

I appreciate any recent family experiences!
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
Re: Looking for current recommendations for family at House
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:48:41 pm »
We stayed at Seton when I had my Mid-Fossa done by Friedman & Schwartz back in March of 2010. Seton was great for what it is, clean and comfortable and connected to the hospital.. and inexpensive compared to local hotels (that aren't in the best of neighborhoods).

I do not recall if they had Wi-Fi in Seton as I had brought my own Wi-Fi hotspot along (I'm not a big fan of public Wi-Fi) but I do know they had computers with internet access in the kitchen/lounge area that were available for use. I also can't comment on the waiting room situation as I was otherwise indisposed during my surgery  ;) but I THINK they had Wi-Fi available and I didn't hear any complaints from my family with regard to the comfort.

The cafeteria food stunk.. St. Vincents is really behind the times when it comes to the food so tell your family to be prepared to either order out or suffer thru some bad meals. We went shopping the day we got there and stocked up on snacks, beverages and some other things to make use of in the kitchen area. Tell them to take a trip down the road to Tommy's and have a Chili Burger :)

Hope that helps some.

p.s. The decision to go to House was the best one I ever made, they have been outstanding in every way. To this day Dr. Friedman remembers my case and has been helpful and responsive to my e-mails regarding after care and other issues that have come up, long after they stopped billing my insurance. I know it may be difficult to travel and the accommodations may not be 5 star but it will be well worth it in the end.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:51:25 pm by Amplified2000 »
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Sam Rush

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:23:28 am »
Check with the House surgery scheduler.   We stayed at a downtown LA hotel with special House Clinic rates and a shuttle to the clinic. It was kind of pricy, but worth it.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

jross

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 02:21:34 pm »

My husband and I stayed at Seton Hall for two weeks in December of 2009.  I was having Translab  surgery.  At first we were only going to stay for one week and then go to some other hotel.  But, it was so comforting for me to be there that we stayed.  Both patients and families  got support from one another.  I recommend it.  Jillß

CNY

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:57:47 am »
I had translab surgery in May of 2009 @House with Drs. Slattery & Schwartz.  We took the tag-team approach to family: My father was with me for 3 days, my brother for 3 & then my wife.  The teenagers were busy with a prom etc at home.  We stayed at Seton Hall: as a patient I thought it was great: easy access to appts accross the street at House (use the pedestrian bridge from the hospital over the busy street), easy access to the hospital for an early morning surgery, indoor wheelchair access after being released from the hospital, quiet rooms, quiet common area, & the hallways worked fine for the short walks after surgery. Eventually I was able to walk to the garden outside the rear entrance to the building.

I found it very helpful to talk with other patients and families before and after the operation.  There was a small shared kitchen on the floor as well as a fridge in the room.  When I was at Seton Hall, there were a few other patients who also spent time in the common dining area next to the kitchen.

We did end up checking out one day before my return flight, and went to a nicer hotel closer to our airport.

As noted, the neighborhood doesn't seem to have restaurants within walking distance but I think there was a burger king accross the street.

We did enjoy the fresh fruit sold by a vendor near the garden.  The cafeteria was pretty basic, but I didn't care-- I wasn't really hungry.  One of the other families who were SH veterans recommended taking a city bus to a large farmer's market but none of use were feeling like an adventure.

Parking was pretty easy if you were staying at SH.
--Greg.
Translab @House 5/14/09 (2 cm)