Author Topic: Sixteen Days Post Op  (Read 3010 times)

Danny2006

Sixteen Days Post Op
« on: June 18, 2006, 07:17:30 am »
Well, 16 days down. When does it get better? I went out and tried to do a little work in my shop, I worked for five min. and rested 15. I can’t believe how quickly I get tired. I am trying to keep it light, and as safe as possible. With all this dizziness and my L-eye burning, I just can’t concentrate enough to accomplish anything.
I don't mean to complain, I consider myself very lucky. As I said in earlier post, my AN actually turned out to be a Facial Nerve Neuroma. I hope I still qualify to post in AN Forum???. My doc., Dr. Swartz had to cut some of the Facial nerve, and some of the balance nerve. Hearing nerve is still very good, very little hearing loss. I still have a little movement in L-side of face, so let’s hope it starts working a little better (lot's better) in the future. It would be nice if tears would start working again...
I am glad that I found this site, and that you all had such great advice. I would not have gone to HEI if I had not read these forums. If I had went to my first Doc. at Vanderbilt Hospital then I would have lost my hearing, the Doc wanted to do translab....I believe that without my Middle Fossa, and the skill of Dr. Freidman, and Dr. Swartz, I would not have turned out any where near as good as I am now, or will be in future.
I am a very lucky man indeed..........
Thanks to everyone, Danny
10mmx8mm AN (facial nerve neuroma) found Feb. 06
Surgery at House Clinic on 02June06,

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Sixteen Days Post Op
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 07:24:37 am »
Danny, of COURSE you can still post here, silly! :)

Please remember you just had major surgery.  16 days is not nearly enough to recupe from surgery.  Day by day, inch by inch. You sound like me... a do-er, hate to sit still, have to be active.   Your body is obviously speaking to you when you fatique easy, so please listen to it.  Rest is the body's best "friend" to recuperation, so please heed it's signals.  Please hang in there and know that each day, things will be a bit easier. You are now a "postie" (post-treatment) and as a postie, you are now on the swing to going on with life.  Regardless of the residual issues that are (or may) appear, you are still you and we're still here for you!

Please hang in there... and know that I send major huggles as you take things a day at a time.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 10:47:55 am »
16 days!! I was still using a walker at 16 days... and you worked in the shop! consider yourself lucky !!

remember it takes 1 week to 1 month for EACH hour of surgery to get your fatigue back ..
(I assume the younger you are the better)

take some walks and work in little bites ... and don't beat yourself up if you need a nap afterwords .. just take it .. I think you will find next week, you will work 1 hour longer .. and nap just a little less .. and as the weeks go by .. your will be back to normal ..

here it is 10 months after my surgery, and just came in to rest after cutting the lawn .. and I'm NOT dizzy! ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 05:32:59 pm »
Danny

I'm just glad to have you back and posting.  Thank you for your updates and please continue to share them.   Your recovery and journey gives hope and strength to others that follow in your foot steps.

Take good care of yourself.  I look forward to your next post!

Raydean 
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Obita

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 06:39:11 pm »
Hi Danny:

At sixteen days I was still afraid to go across the road to get the mail!  I felt too weak to be able to get up enough speed to make it across between cars.  By one month I had my confidence back along with some strength to do some of the daily things we usually don't even think twice about doing.  Like grocery shopping.  I remember being kind of afraid to go in by myself.  If they didn't have shopping carts to hang on to I might not have gone.  I just didn't trust my balance.

Try to look back at how far you HAVE come in sixteen days.  If you can stay awake at all you are doing great!!

Keep in touch,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

jacobs

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:44:41 pm »

Hi Danny,good to hear that you are coming along well.I can only reiterate what everyone else says and that when your body says to rest then listen to it!I am heading into my 8th week post op and am feeling SO much better now.I think that it really started to get better around the 6th week for me.In my experience I found that once you start feeling better and are able to do things you tend to push yourself a little too hard trying to be at the same level you were before surgery.That's why I say rest now...
  I have an eye that won't close and the burning is getting better but is still distracting.My opthamologist reccommended  ordering eye patches from a company in Illinois.They look a bit like half of a swimming goggle(or a pirate patch).It's a piece of plastic with foam on the side that touches your face and has a piece of elastic that just slips over your head.You can see through it and it helps to keep the moisture in your eye.I wear it when I'm at home and it helps while looking at the computer screen.(i'm sure I could have made one but getting the materials etc.didnt seem worth the hassel)Their website is proopticsinc.com
 Wishing you a speedy recovery...
Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 08:34:10 pm »
Hi Danny,

I think you are doing really well for 16 days after surgery.  At 16 days I was still having my mom come and stay with me during the day.  We would go out for lunch and then I would come home for a nap!  Now after 9 months my energy is pretty much back to normal.  Take the time to rest.  After all, you did have brain surgery.   :)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 06:19:27 am »
Danny you need to listen to all of us....REST WHEN YOU ARE TIRED!  Heck it took me two months before I could get out of bed and open my eyes.  So if you're in you're shop now you're doing great...just take it easy.  I'm still trying to get back to my woodworking projects. 

chopper

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 07:19:05 am »
Glad I found this post just now....gives me an idea of what to expect in regards to fatigue when my time comes, and I know I'll be going stir crazy!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 07:20:49 am by chopper »
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 07:22:49 am »
Danny: 16 days and you're working in the shop? Are ya nuts?! (just joking). At 16 days after the first surgery I had I was basically still in bed! Take it easy on yourself buddy and lower your expectations of yourself.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Danny2006

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 08:18:06 am »
LOL, you guys are making me feel a little silly. I can see that I am doing very well. I guess I will listen and try to slow down a bit. I am getting a little too much pain when I over do it a bit. Thank you for your post, they are helping me by letting me know that I am doing well, even better than I could have hoped for. I will keep everyone updated on my progress.
Thanks again
Danny
10mmx8mm AN (facial nerve neuroma) found Feb. 06
Surgery at House Clinic on 02June06,