Author Topic: Looking for Vestibular PT on westside of Los Angeles  (Read 5401 times)

minardh

Looking for Vestibular PT on westside of Los Angeles
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:11:39 pm »
Hi,

I am looking for a PT who specializes in Vestibular Rehab and is located on the westide of Los Angeles.  Any referrals or recommendations?  Happy to get a couple to increase the odds of finding one that takes my insurance.

Also, my approach has been to do the drills in the ANA booklet on my own and want to visit a PT to make sure I'm headed the right way.  Is that a reasonable approach?  I would say my balance is 90% there.  I can drive, handle stairs, etc.  But I couldn't play sports (ski, tennis, etc.) successfully yet.  And I want to.  

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:20:48 pm by minardh »
2.7 cm tumor
Translab on 9/8/10
NYU - Golfinos/Roland (NY, NY)
Couldn't be happier
Adjusting to ssd
Working on last 10% of balance issues

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Looking for Vestibular PT on westside of Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:27:06 pm »
Maybe you can try the folks out at House Ear Clinic, which is in LA near St. Vincents hospital.  They may be able to refer you to someone in the area? It may be a good place to start...hope this helps!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:32:10 pm »
Didn't know there were "drills" in the ANA booklet  ???

My neurotologist gave me vestibular exercises to do prior to my surgery - and to continue for a few weeks post op.  You might find them useful.  They certainly can't hurt.

If you'd like a copy, PM me your email address.

As for sports, in my experience, that takes a little longer than "regular" balance stuff like handling stairs, etc.  It took me a while post op to be able to ride a bicycle again and although I can run (my surgery was 3+ years ago) I can no longer run on a treadmill.  Not sure why; but prior to my surgery I could.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:15 am »
All PT's are taught vestibular exercises in school (I know, because I am one).  It shouldn't be too hard to find a therapist that can help you.

I would ask your doctor for a referral, or ask friends or neighbors if they know of a good PT.  Chances are, they'll be able to help you.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

minardh

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »
Thanks for the input.
I already have a list both from the House Clinic and another MD, but none are on the Westside.  
Hoping someone has direct experience with a PT they found helpful and knowledgeable on the Westside.
Nothing like a personal referral to winnow that long list down.

Thanks for any specific names.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:11:37 pm by minardh »
2.7 cm tumor
Translab on 9/8/10
NYU - Golfinos/Roland (NY, NY)
Couldn't be happier
Adjusting to ssd
Working on last 10% of balance issues

Cynaburst

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 12:16:45 am »
I had a very good vestibular rehab guy on La Cienega after my surgery 9 years ago.  His name is Greg Cox, and he owns this practice:

http://www.balancetherapy.com/about_balance_disorders_institute.html

I found him to be very good.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 07:42:02 pm »
If your balance is at 90% you will likely have an easier time of it than I did. I have to say that I never found the vestibular therapy very helpful....terribly boring=not wanting to do it. I always tell folks to find something you can enjoy doing that challenges you to extremes without endangering yourself. I was very lucky....my balance today is pretty close to normal and I feel that having a brain tumor was a positive experience in my life. Finally went skiing again this year for the 1st time since 2003. i don't feel held back at all.
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=8379.0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:45:58 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org