Author Topic: Fall  (Read 2276 times)

pamk

Fall
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »
I am two years post op, just had a follow up MRI with good results! I was having a great weekend with my family and my golden retriever took me out. I fell down twelve steps to the concrete sidewalk! I have a broken hand and experienced a mild  concussion. I feel a month post op again. Anyone had a concussion post surgery? Was the recovery longer that "non-AN" folks? My CT was all good. I just really want to celebrate life and feel like I went backwards.
2.1 cm AN
Translab at House/St Vincent March 09.

ombrerose4

Re: Fall
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:18:15 pm »
So sorry to hear about your fall :(   I fell down subway steps 3 mos. post op and ruptured ligaments in my ankle. Just when I thought my vestibular rehab was almost done, I had to start again. Spent 3 weeks in an aircast, then due to slow healing had a hard cast for 3 weeks. Then had to go to rehab just to get my ankle strong enough so I could finish my vestibular rehab. It set me back about 2 mos. and although I didn't hit my head, I hurt my neck.  I know it sucks to have a setback, but thankfully you will be okay in time. Just try to rest and remember how far you have already come :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

opp2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:56 am »
So Sorry to hear about your mishap. I haven't had any bumps to the head since my surgery but I could see how easy it could be to suffer concussion after a fall and a bump to the surgery side.

In regard to concussion it is a bruising of the brain and will take some time to recover from it. Keep the faith that you will once again feel well. You don't say when this fall occurred. Was it recently, like this past weekend? Like any brain injury I would expect 2-4 weeks recovery from the major side effects.

All the best...have you seen Finding Nemo?? Just keep swimmin'~!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

pamk

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:14:51 am »
The fall was 1 week ago. Patience is not my strong suit!
Thanks for the kind words
2.1 cm AN

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:23:09 am »
Pam,

I think those golden retrievers will be the death of us!   I have one too, but mine is so lazy that most of my problems arise when I trip over her "full-figured" body.   ::)

I'm glad that your head is in good shape, besides the concussion.  I imagine that would make you feel like you're back at square one again, but hopefully when that heals, you'll pick up where you left off in your recovery.

It seems like we all have some sort of setback to deal with along the way.  I hope this is the last one for you.  In the mean time, let someone else walk the dog! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

pamk

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »
Lori,
I have one of those too, she is 14 years old and I guess should be my walking partner instead of the 18 month old boy. So many life lessons to learn!
2.1 cm AN

kraynok2

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:48:39 pm »
Pam,
  Sorry to hear about your unfortunate fall.  Rest and give it time to heal.  I'll be thinking of you.
Sandy