Author Topic: Post op improvement  (Read 5205 times)

ombrerose4

Re: Post op improvement
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 10:15:09 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum :) I am 17 mos. post op and I very very little to no tearing in my eye on my AN side. There are quite a few people on the forum with this same problem, all with varying degrees of dryness. If you haven't seen an eye doctor yet you probably should, just to make sure you are keeping your eye lubricated enough to protect your cornea. Some people say the dryness improves, but I haven't seen any improvement in mine yet, still hoping. As for the taste thing, my ttongue was actually the only place I had any symptoms before I was diagnosed. It was numb and tingly and things tasted funny. Numbness and tingling are gone, but I have very strong taste sensations on that side especially when I eat salty foods. The saltiness stays with me for hours, but there are worse things in life, :D

The balance issue you describe is what I believe other forumites call "wonky head". It does get better as your good side learns to compensate. Vestibular therapy is a great way to speed up the process, and Clarice mentioned some great exercises you can do by yourself. The only time I really get that feeling anymore is when I am not out being active enough and my body gets lazy and doesn't compensate as well. You are still very early into your recovery, so remember to be patient and allow yourself to rest as needed. You sound like you are doing well so just keep on doing what you're doing ;)

I am not familiar with the surgical approach you had, could you tell me more about it?
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

ironstorm

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 05:39:42 am »
Thank you! At least someone has an idea of what I am feeling.  Wonky head sounds a lot like how I feel.  As far as the surgery I had...they were originally going to go through my inner ear, but found that I had better hearing left than they originally thought, so they decided to use a brand new approach.  (sorry, but I am not familiar with the terms for them).  they cut right behind my ear and the path they took was between my inner ear canal and brain.  The scar is right behind my ear, in fact the earpiece behind my ear for my glasses go over the scar.  They were able to save about 30% of my hearing going this way.  It would have been more, but it was a sticky tumor so they had some trouble getting it out without disrupting other nerves.   As far as taste, I haven't quite figured out yet if I have any type of taste but I think I might taste sweet but not sure.  It is hard to determine since I can taste on my right side.  I never had the numbness though.  Everyone says, including my Dr. that I am still very early in my recovery but to me it seems like a long time.  I am doing the exercises that my Dr gave me and the ppl here have suggested, plus my work is very physically demanding so I think I should recover any time now. 

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 09:02:59 pm »
my balance is worse as the day goes on. so that hasn't changed since b4 my surgery. i can feel myself veering to the an side and i cant correct it.

best way i can put it is  we are without 1 of our 2 gyro scopes that control balance. some folks may get this back i'm sure but i'm 3 + yrs post op and it hasn't happened for me.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here