Author Topic: Surgery Date Set  (Read 3044 times)

hendi51

Surgery Date Set
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:43:23 am »
My hubby Lynn will be havingTranslab surgery March 15th at the Methodist University Hospital in MemphisTn. We will be glad to get this behind us.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

moe

Re: Surgery Date Set
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:12:04 am »
It will be here before you know it.
Best of luck and prayers for a successful surgery.
Any questions prior to surgery????? (I had translab).
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:44:02 pm »
Freda ~

I know Lynn has a lot of health struggles since his initial AN diagnosis but I'm pleased to learn that he'll finally be having the AN removal surgery in a few short weeks. 

Our collective and individual wishes for an uncomplicated surgery and a rapid, complete recovery.  You and Lynn will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

hendi51

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:16:31 pm »
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Lynn has been cleared by cardiologist for surgery so we are hoping for the best.
Maureen Lynn asks "what was the length of your surgery, how did you feel when you got back to your room, how long was it before you got to get up, did you have balance problems, headaches or any other complications and how long did you have to stay in hospital?" I know that is a lot of questions so just answer what you feel like answering.
He didn't have any questions about hearing cause he has SSD. That was his first symtom along with balance problems.
Memphis, Tn

moe

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:43:45 pm »
Freda,
Every surgery is different depending on the size, location.  No two recoveries are the same.
But suffice to say, the first 3 days are not especially fun (we say the first 3 days don't count) but after that, it gets much easier. ;D  Tell him to try and sleep through whatever he can, in between being woken up to ask him where he is  >:( If he has pain, headaches, nausea, TELL THEM or you. Gotta try and keep it in control.

My surgery was 11 hours long (normal is 6-8 hours), I had headaches post op. Lots of IV lines, oxygen, cathether, but it all came out within couple days. I was up in a chair day after surgery, and walked the hall that day or the next.

No balance/dizziness issues because my other side had completely compensated. It is normal to have that dizziness though.

Hospital stay is around 5 days. Just bring lip balm, bathrobe, toothbrush. That's all ya need! Maybe some eye ointment if his eye is dry, but the hospital should provide that.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will chime in ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:30:00 pm »
Freda ~

Maureen offered a good synopsis of the hospital procedure.  My experience: the first 24 hours or so I mostly slept, but in ICU, the nurses wake you for various tests so your sleep is always temporary.  I was sitting in the bedside chair by the second day, walking the halls (with my wife holding onto my arm) by Day 3.  Walking the halls without any support by Day 4.  Very anxious to go home by Day 5, and I did, that morning, after proving to the PT nurse supervisor that I could walk a (relatively) straight line and walk up and down stairs without using the handrail.   Within a few minutes of leaving the hospital, I enjoyed a delicious brunch at a nearby diner with my wife and adult son, who has both come to take me home.  My recovery was fairly rapid after that.  However, as with any serious surgery, there is always the risk of complications, so, while hoping they don't happen, one must be prepared for that  possibility.  Lip balm is highly recommended by most although I never needed it.  Do not over-pack.  As Maureen stated, all Lynn will need is a bathrobe, toothbrush, the lip balm... and your presence, of course.  I'm sure he'll do just fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:43 pm »
amen to what Jim and folks have said. and with just a few days left the worst thing was the wait for me.

even though i had learned to calm down, the closer my surgery got the worse the nerves were.

best wishes and positive vibes for you and Lynn too.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

kraynok2

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 02:07:51 pm »
As noted before, this surgery is so different for each patient.  Mine was 7 hours long and then that night in the ICU.  The nurses did not really wake me up, that I remember.  I do remember waking up often with a super dry mouth.  My very nice male nurse would bring me new sponges on picks to suck on.  The next morning I was sitting in a chair and waiting for a room to become available.  I had no pain or balance issues.  I did have a very slight paralysis issue that has about disappeared, except for no tears in the an eye.  My right side had already compensated, so I started walking by myself with no problems.  The doctors and nurses could not believe it.  I had my surgery on a Tuesday and went home Saturday.  The doctor wanted me to go home Friday, but I did not feel ready, as I had a 2-2 1/2 hour ride.  The ride ended up not causing any problems and went smoothly.  During the first two weeks home or so, I had a headache every now and then.  They have gone away.  Good luck to Lynn.  He will be in my prayers.  You will be surprised at how fast time does go afterwards.  I am three and a half months post op now and it's almost like a dream that I even had the surgery.  Good luck.
Sandy

hendi51

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 09:03:24 pm »
Lynn said thanks for all your info. Cherrypiper, he is getting a case of the nerves. Hopefully he will stay calm. We know everyone is different but thanks for sharing your experience with us. We really appreciate it.
Memphis, Tn