Author Topic: Facial swell  (Read 2808 times)

Jessica000

Facial swell
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:50:51 am »
Hi all,

Hope all is well for everyone!

I have a concern which I really hope someone could reply me.

I am wondering has anyone get puffy face during the recovery period? Like the affected side looks more "fatty" than the good side.

I've been having a small lump on my cheek. Previously I thought it was a tightened muscle as my lip was going upwards with it. However now that my lips have achieved more symmetry, the lump is still there and it feels spongy. It accentuates the line from the nose to the corner of the lips ( I don't know what's that call) because of how it bulges.

I've came out with many possibilities for it like water retention, saggy skin or just part of recovery.

My physiotherapist felt the area and told me that there isn't much water and that it wasn't very obvious. She's right, it's not an exaggerated lump. Just more of a "fat face" feeling.
My surgeon (who last seen me months ago) and my radiotherapist all told me it will somehow go away and that's all I am given.

I am more afraid that it's an inflammation or something abnormal.

The affected side of my face is not obviously saggy but the muscles doesn't seemed to pack together. There's no good shape. Is this normal?

How long does it take for the muscles to get back in good place?

Feeling so frustrated to solve this without the help of any doctors  :(

Chris P

Re: Facial swell
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:32:16 am »

Jessica,

I think I understand your question.  I had my radiation surgery last June and in October I experienced facial weakness.  It has been four months now and some of the weakness has improved but I still get tightening in my cheek .  It feels like there is a lump there sometimes and spongy.   If I rub it or pull the cheek it helps .  A warm moist pack can help also.  I think it is just the muscles pulling but my doctor told me the symptoms will take a while to go away.  I see him again in June for a follow up MRI. 

How long ago did you have your surgery?  If you are concerned call you doctor I am sure he will tell you if it is anything to worry about.  This condition is one that you must have a lot of patience with , it is very slow to improve and heal.  Hang in there and Welcome to our Group.

Chris P
Small AN 14mm , right side , Gamma Knife Radiation 6/22/10 Gainsville, Florida.
Balance issues, hearing loss and facial weakness appeared four months post op.

darnett

Re: Facial swell
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:37:18 pm »
Jessica,
I had my surgery in January and of as late my affected area(right) seems very tight and swollen...I don't speak very well and it's a chore to eat. Sometimes I bite the inside of my cheek if I'm not very careful. I don't know if the tightness are the muscles trying to regenerate or if Ive eaten something to cause my face to swell. But, it feels tight. I hope it's the beginning signs of regeneration! Good luck to you and from what I've read on here patience is the key.
7cm AN removed January 2,2011....  No hearing, facial paralysis, eye problems all on right side