Author Topic: Possible AN diagnosis & scared.....  (Read 5270 times)

LtBJH

Possible AN diagnosis & scared.....
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:27:17 am »
I am 35 years old and generally in good health. I could afford to lose about 50lbs but, because of being on night shift for the past 8 years and doing my best to help my wife with our 2 children during the day, my sleep patterns are all messed up and so my weight gain/loss is erratic. For the past 3 years I have been having bouts of vertigo. At first it was once a month and then slowly increased to about 2-3 times a week. About a year ago I also started getting real bad headaches that were focused at the base of the scull on the back right hand side. Then about 6 months ago the ringing started in the right ear. It is not a loud obnoxious ring it is just a constant steady tone. At first I kept looking for the fluorescent light that was about to die but then realized that it was in my head. I have been having regular check ups every year even though I am only 35 yrs old because I have the insurance that pays for it and I do not want to leave my wife and kids prematurely, but the Dr didn't put the symptoms together until this year. I have a MRI coming up next week and am honestly quite afraid of what might or might not be found there. From the few posts that I have read so far I understand that this is not the first of these stories that you have heard but when I talk to my wife about she just starts to worry and I really have no one else to turn to. Thanks for listening and for any responses that come in.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Possible AN diagnosis & scared.....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:58:58 am »
Welcome, LtBJH to this forum .....

While we all hope you do not have an AN, it is vitally important that you find out what is causing your symptoms.  You are doing the right thing to have an MRI ..... make sure it is ordered with contrast or a small AN might not show up.

Please try to think about other things until you have the report from your MRI.  If it is an AN, you will know and you will have plenty of time to research your options then.  Remember ANs are almost always benign and slow-growing.

Be sure to let us know what the report is ..... even if it is something other than an AN.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:31:50 pm »
LtBJH ~

Hi - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums.  I certainly hope the scheduled MRI scan doesn't show an acoustic neuroma but if it does, remember that they are almost always benign (non-malignant) and treatable with surgery and/or radiation.  I was in otherwise good health and almost twice your age at the time of my diagnosis.  I'm happy to report that I experienced a very successful and near complication-free outcome, as do many other AN patients.  To be honest, complications can and do occur with AN removal surgery and with radiation treatment, too.  However, they are generally temporary and/or correctable.  Your concern about the future, should the MRI indicate an acoustic neuroma is present, is understandable.  Your wife's worry, even more so.  This is why the ANA and these forums exist.  To educate, advise and support folks facing a (possible) AN diagnosis and those struggling with issues before and/or after surgery/radiation.  Our members have walked in your shoes, as it were, and we can empathize with most of what you and your wife are going through.  You are not alone in this and we want to help and support you in whatever way we can.  Please consider this your resource for all things related to acoustic neuroma.  I still hope the MRI comes back as 'normal' (no AN) but - we're here if you need us. 

Please let us know what the MRI report says, AN or no AN.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:50:08 pm »
L+BJH

Both Clarice and Jim really sums it up nicely.  You have found a great place to just "vent" if need be.  All of us have gone through something similar but each of us has their own story.  If it is an AN I am sure you probably know by now that they usually are slow growing.  That gives you and your wife the time to do your research on which option will be the best for you.

Although you are the one, please allow your wife share in this journey.  She can help you make the best decision for you and your family.

Please let us know how you are doing, and by all means ask lots and lots and lots of questions.

TJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:38:09 pm »
Good luck with the MRI and try not to stress until you actually have a diagnosis (hard to do, I realize)  :)

The only definitive way to diagnosis - or rule out - an AN is with an MRI (typically with gadolinium contrast).

I'm hopeful your MRI will be "clean" but if it isn't, you've definitely come to the right place.  We've all been there (or are currently there) and are here to support you and your wife in any way we possibly can.

And believe it or not, there are worse things to have than an acoustic neuroma.

Please keep us updated on your situation.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:17 am »
I just wanted to chime in and wish you good luck on the MRI...you'd be surprised how many people have come here with all the symptoms of AN and then they get their MRI's back with NO AN!  So you know it is indeed possible to dodge that bullet, but if it does come back positive for AN, you at least found a very good resource for making decisions.  Just hang in there, let us know how it goes!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

LtBJH

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:21 am »
Well here it is now almost two weeks later and I finally have my MRI scheduled for noon today.

The last few weeks have been a rollercoaster. I had cataract surgery 3 weeks ago, then a routine checkup where the Dr suggested the possibility of the AN, and then blood work found that my testosterone had dropped over 200 points in the last year and so that has to be treated also.

I thought that life was supposed to be downhill after 40 not 35.  ::)

Oh well. I am still hanging around and not planning on checking out yet so I will let you know what the Dr says after the MRI today.

suboo73

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 05:22:06 am »
Hi LtBJH,

I wanted to stop by and say WELCOME to the Forum!

Good luck with your MRI today.
I know I wanted to get on with it and get the results asap.
So, I asked for a copy of the report and CD of the results, so I didn't have to wait to hear from the doctor (who was in another town.)

We are all hoping that your MRI is 'clean!'  Keep us posted.

Prayers all around.
Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:24 am »
Peaceful wishes coming your way for today's MRI.
Let us know the outcome, we are here for you, one way or another! :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mark241

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:17 pm »
Welcome! And please let us know.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w