Author Topic: AN shape change post CK  (Read 1910 times)

sher

AN shape change post CK
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:40:04 pm »
Hi there,
I haven't been on this forum for over a year. Hope everyone is doing well. I am wondering if anyone that has had CK has had a tumor elongate as it was dying? My treatment was done over 2 years ago, and the CK clinic was forced to close because of funding about 18 months after my treatment so post ck followup has been done by a gamma knife doc. He says it has elongated towards the ear canal and not the brain stem but the center of it is unchanged and looks like scar tissue...
My question is... Has anyone had an AN that elongated while dying...?????? Hoping to find someone who has.
Thanks so much!

Sherry in Utah
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

nftwoed

Re: AN shape change post CK
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:23:19 pm »
Hi Sher;

I haven't, but changing shape certainly seems a reasonable happening if part of the tumor is dying. Some of the cells are losing viability so it is easier for other schwann cells to relocate. I'm thinking more of intracanicular ANs here. In thinking, if the tumor is elongating and intracanicular, that may be a good thing re, compression of nerves. If it's not an intracanicular tumor, that seems to me insignificant unless their near the brain stem in the CPA.
  Also; One might wish to remember that viable schwan cells do have a migration history and some facilities will do a schwan cell migration assay. I do, however, think more of those were done in the 70s than now. I had a migration assay done pre op of my 1.5 cm. removed in 1977.
  Best wishes to you in your continued recovery, Sherry!  : )

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:12:34 am »
What did the doctor suggest?  Sounds like maybe careful watching would be in order.  When's your next MRI?  I'd want to know if there were any chances that the "elongated" part represents new growth.  I'm sure that's what you're wondering too!  No, I haven't heard of this before, but I've only been around this topic for a year.  My CK-treated AN is mostly dark, and hasn't really changed size. Let us know what happens.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

sher

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »
I will be having another MRI after Mother's Day... (I own a florist so want to wait until after the madness)...
Sunfish, I was under the assumption that a hearing aid would not help me.. I also have trouble with high frequency and LOUD tinnitus. I will have to look into that type of aid. ;D
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling