Author Topic: EAR CANDLING  (Read 5080 times)

Mickey

EAR CANDLING
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:33:09 pm »
I`m in the process of trying this procedure. I have Wally`s natural product for Ear candling. Has anyone tried this? I`ll wait a day or 2 and see what my fellow ANers have to say. Thanks, Mickey

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: EAR CANDLING
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:44:10 pm »
Oooooooh ...... not sure I like the sounds of this .....   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling  I value my hearing too much.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:49 pm »
I have never tried it myself, but my good friend worked at a health food store (managed their deli) for a number of years and swore by them!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:13:05 pm »
I've never tried it and I'm quite sure I'd manage to burn off all my hair and set my house on fire if I did.   :o

I typically try to avoid any medical treatments that involve fire.  I've been known to hurt myself with much less dangerous things.

But I would be interested to hear how it goes.  Keep a fire extinguisher handy!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:55:42 pm »
I tried this many years ago and can't say it did anything for me. One of the chief health claims of candling is that it draws wax out of the ear. But since the candles are made of wax, detractors say it's just the candle's wax that accumulates and the candles don't actually do anything. I tend to believe the detractors. YMMV.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:06 pm »
I've heard of candling eggs, but ears  ???

That's a new one on me.

I'm with Lori though; I'm not one for medical treatments that involve fire.  MRIs of my head are about as wild as I get  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:24:40 am »
Thanks for the imput!, especially what Clarice posted. I`m going back to the health food store to get my $7.19 haha. Seems to riskey with no positive imput anywhere. Mickey

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »
Yes, I tried it when my holistic, yahoo friends sprung it on me up in the wild and woolly hinterlands of Western Maine. The same people that suggested that I see a Kinesiologist when I was at death's door that cranked my arm up and down like a bilge pump and diagnosed me as being afflicted by heavy metal poisoning.....Right.

And no, pouring candle wax in an ear doesn't work any more or better than having a hearing aid or cochlear implant in an ear without an intact hearing nerve.

Who the hell came up with that one? Like the horse running into the burning barn? Now that's what you'd call a "wax job"

Hope this helps :-)
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

irenuk

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 02:41:42 pm »
Hi,
I tried Ear candling prior to AN diagnosis when I was running around trying in desperation to find ways to feel better.  While it was a comfortable procedure it did nothing other than "lighten my purse" - but then I didnt have any wax in my ears ( just an AN I didn't know about !!!) so maybe if you have some wax the result may be better........... regards Irenuk

ps. In the past Ive also read somewhere "never heat a tumour"

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 09:35:20 pm »
Hi Mickey,

I'm glad to hear you've decided to give up on ear candlling.  Like Jan and Lori, I think I'd probably set the house on fire.  That aside, I checked to see what the Mayo Clinic had to say about it and found the following article:

Is ear candling a safe way to remove earwax?
Answer
from Charles W. Beatty, M.D.

Ear candling — a technique that involves placing a lit, hollow, cone-shaped candle into the ear canal — can cause serious injury and isn't considered an effective treatment for any condition.

The theory behind ear candling, also called ear coning or thermal auricular therapy, is that the heat from the flame will create a vacuum seal and the earwax in the ear canal will adhere to the candle. Ear candling has also been touted as a treatment for sinus infections and as a way to improve hearing.

Research shows, however, that ear candling is ineffective at removing earwax. In fact, the technique can actually push earwax deeper into the ear canal. Ear candling can also lead to:

* Deposits of candle wax in the ear canal
    * Burns to the face, hair, ear canal, eardrum and middle ear
    * Perforation of the eardrum or other ear injuries

If you develop an earwax blockage, avoid ear candling. Instead, consult your doctor about simple steps you can take to safely and effectively remove the wax.

Best,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

PaulaT

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:51:26 am »
I believe the FDA is trying to outlaw the sales of ear candles. Apparently they don't pull the ear wax out of your ear like many thought. When I first heard of them, I thought it sounded intriguing and the pseudo-science behind it kind of made sense but apparently it's all false. I've heard people say that it relaxes them but if I want to be relaxed I light a candle like a  Scentsy candle on a table.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:09:22 pm by PaulaT »

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:18 pm »
Ear Candles...
Its a load of Bunk
The ones they sell in Australia are not dangerous, they do not drip wax down your ear canal.
You just listen to the cute crackling sound as the candle burns, and somehow after that you are cured!
Or at least your wallet is cured of $10
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

chrisransom

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »
I tried candling when I was about 22 or so (back in the early 80s).  I was living with my grandmother for a while when I was going to college and I was using a small upstair bedroom of hers.  I had wax buildup in my ear but I had no money to pay a doc for a lavage and someone told me about candling.  So I went home and made 2 candles out of a strips of an old t-shirt dipped in wax and rolled around a pencil.  I went up in my room and lit one and laid on my side for about 2 hours... unitl my grandmother walked in to bring my laundry. I can still see he standing at the top of the stairs holding that stack of clean shirts looking at me with the most horrified look on her face and scampered down the steps.  I took it out, snuffed out the flame, and never tried it again.  She told that story at family get togethers until she died in '97.  She must have thought I was a nut.
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.