Author Topic: One year post op  (Read 3172 times)

tweety

One year post op
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:57:23 am »
HI All,  I had my almost year check up with Dr. Chen. All is well.  He did say no MRI for 5 years which is scary to me but I am putting my trust in him and hopefully will be ok.  I had an MRI last October 4 months out from surgery.  I am doing well accept for my hearing loss and have enrolled in the Sound Bite trial in Pittsburgh.  THis will be available in August and I am trying this before the BAHA.  I just know I miss hearing in that ear.  I guess I am just getting adjusted to the tinnuitis, I call it my background noise as it is there all the time.  Crowds and noisy places make it louder which is aggravating.  I will see what happens with the sound bite and if I am still annoyed, I may do the neumonics with Dr. Hillman at AGH (Dr. Chen's partner) June 8th is actually one year since my surgery. I will never forget that day and glad I am on this side of the procedure.  Thanks for all the support.  I have encouraged patients in my practice to refer to this site as it has helped me so much. 

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: One year post op
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:48:49 am »
Tweety

Good news that all is going well for you, or at least as well as expected.  Hope that is some way you can get some of the hearing back.
Best of luck

TJ

RichB57

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:42 am »
Congrats for the good news.  I'm about 4 1/2 weeks post op and did lose the hearing on that side.  One of my big challenges has been educating my family to talk to the good ear.  It seems any time any of us are walking together, I end up on the left of the group (my AN was on my right side).  Guess it will take some getting used to for everyone.  It's way too early for me to think about a hearing device, but what are the neumonics and Sound Bites you mention.  I have not heard of these before.
Diagnosed 12/1/2010, 12.3 mm x 15.2 mm x 15.2 mm, retrosigmoid removal by Drs. Barker & Lee at MGH on April 20, 2011. Lost blood supply to auditory nerve, so SSD. Facial paralysis.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:07 pm »
Nancy ~

Thanks for your positive one-year surgery update.  I trust you'll find a suitable hearing device and I wish you a continued good recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

plugger147

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 05:35:04 pm »
Wow tweety, 5 years without an mri is great news, hope all goes well for you and after the next mri you get a longer lay off for the next scan.....

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »
Congrats on the clear 1 year tweety!!  Let us know how the Sound Bite works out! Take care and keep us posted!
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Chances3

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:27:01 am »
Hi Tweety,

Congrats for 1 year, I am 7 months post op, I'm still working through some issues.  If you haven't heard here is my best advice on Tinnitus.

Stay away from caffeine, alcohol and nitrates that you find in processed meats.

Try and get plenty of sleep, always carry ear plugs when you think your ears will be exposed to loud sounds.

You might ask your doctor about taking a diuretic as well. 

God Bless.

kraynok2

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:26:53 pm »
Tweety,
  How did you find out about the trial in Pittsburgh?  If you remember, I'm in West Virginia and had my surgery with Dr. Chen in November.  I have not heard about any trials.  I'm going to the symposium and hope to get information on all the devices available for SSD.  Since I had the second tumor in my parotid gland, I think I will have to have more frequent MRIs and check-ups.  Congratulations on your 1 year.
Sandy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 01:03:14 pm »
Tweety -

congrats on the ANniversary!  One year post op is a big milestone!

Hope you do something to help with your hearing.  I can't imagine a Sonitus (something in the mouth and behind the ear) but if it works for you, go for it!

I'm a confirmed BAHA wearer and think that everyone should do something to help their SSD if they feel they need it.  Whatever works.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways