Author Topic: Question  (Read 3389 times)

micca82

Question
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »
Hi all,

I have a question-

For those who had facial paralysis after the surgery, were you at least able to tell if someone was touching your face?

After having my 5cm AN removed 3 1/2weeks ago, my left face is left paralyzed and I am doing my best to cope with this right now although it's really tough. (I feel like slapping my face really hard to wake it up sometimes. :D)

I had my hubby test touching both side of my face (AN side and non-AN side) with my eyes closed and I was able to point out where he touched me on my paralyzed face. The feeling is dull but I could tell the difference.

Is this what you went through? Would I lose this over time? Maybe being able to tell when touched has something or nothing to do with facial motion nerves? My doctor says my nerves weren't severed but very stretched. The signals through the nerves were firing until the very end of the surgery(what could this mean?)

Patience is the key but it is so hard.
MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:09:07 pm »
Hi, yes, I could tell when something was touching that side of my face. I just could not move my face. It was about 8 or 9 weeks post-surgery when I first started getting movement.

Try to learn patience.....you simply are not that far past surgery.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:24:06 pm »
Ok, first of all, don't slap yourself in the face!   ;)  I know it's tempting to want to do it to other sometimes too, but you probably shouldn't do that either!  :P

In answer to your actual question, yes, I can feel someone touching my face.  It does not feel quite like it does on the good side, but I can feel it.  It's not quite as sensitive.  I don't believe you'd lose that over time.  There's no reason to think you'd lose anything, more likely you'll gain a little more along the way.  At least that's how it worked for me.

The nerves for sensation and movement are different, so you may get movement back and not gain any more sensation than you have now,  you might have improvements in both...only time will tell.   You're definitely very early in your recovery so pace yourself for a marathon here, rather than a 50 yard dash.  Patience has never been one of my stronger qualities, but I'm learning!  You will too.

My facial nerve wasn't severed either, but was stretched to its limits.  I was one of the less fortunate ones whose movement didn't come back, so at 18 months post-op, I had the 7/12 nerve graft, with good results.  For others, their nerve was stretched and did start working again.  Unfortunately, no one has come up with a way to accurately predict who will recover function and who will not.  Just hope for the best outcome and know that there are other options out there for those of us that don't have the best outcome.

Slow and steady!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

lauralynn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:05:43 pm »
Yes, I know what you mean.  You can tell someone is touching your AN side but it's not the same as the good side.  I had a gold weight implanted and if anyone is touching my eyelid or any area around my eye...I can't feel a thing.   :-\  I know this is a very frustrating time right now.  I had my surgery in April 2009 and noticed the first movement that August.  I did and still do facial exercises and it has helped.  Like me you had a whopper of an AN and it is going to take some time for those nerves to wake up.  Please don't get discouraged...it will happen, just will take time.  PM me if you would like.  Keep coming to the forum...I've learned so much in the 2 years I've been coming.  Wonderful people here.   ;D

God Bless,

Laura Lynn   
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

darnett

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:24:53 pm »
I had a 7cm AN removed in January of 2011... I awoke to a droopy and numb face(right side)...I can tell somewhat if someone is touching that side of my face but certainly not the same as my left. Four months after my surgery I feel well, have good balance, and no headaches but my facial nerve still has no feeling....my surgeon says it will come back in time. I am awaiting that day! Good luck...

David
7cm AN removed January 2,2011....  No hearing, facial paralysis, eye problems all on right side

deheisel11

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 03:36:16 pm »
During my translab surgery in May 2010, my facial nerve was "transected" and the cut ends approximated with surgery wax.  I awoke with paralysis on the right side of my face.  However, the feeling on both sides of my face remained the same.  Feeling in the face comes from the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve V) while movement comes from the facial nerve (cranial nerve VII).  It seems like from many of the threads on the Forum, those with loss of both movement and feeling have mentioned that they had a very large AN or that the AN grew in various directions, both ways obviously involving both nerves. Hopefully, both will improve with time for you. 
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.