Author Topic: Kaybo - are you ok?  (Read 4000 times)

opp2

Kaybo - are you ok?
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:43:32 am »
I keep reading these posts where you spent time in ICU. I just want to say I hope you are feeling better and all is well.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Kaybo - are you ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:31:37 am »
Kay has had a rough ride ..... but she can tell her own story.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:10:32 pm »
Nikki-
Thanks for asking...I wasn't trying to keep anything from anyone but since it was not at all related to AN's, I didn't think I should make a big deal. Actually, it really shouldn't have been a big deal...but alas, I guess I kind of specialize in those! ::) So here's the story:

I went in last Tuesday morning for a routine, laproscopic hysterectomy.  All went well (except later the Dr said there was a lot of bleeding) & I went to recovery & then a regular room. After a couple of hours, they moved me to ICU because my BP kept dropping. In ICU, they kept pumping me full of liquids (even using something I'd never seen before to get them thru my IV faster).  I guess they kept taking blood too - I just remember a hundred sticks - and gave me 2 units. They brought in a sonogram tech - which actually I was probably the most scared of that (even tho I didn't tell anyone) b/c sometimes when you have those, they really push down & all I could think about was all those incisions in my tummy!!  Anyway, of course they found blood so they rushed me back to the OR. I remember all the people frantically working on me & Dave & the Dr standing in the hall. All I was worried about was Dave & how I wanted him to call his parents so he wouldn't have to wait by himself. I'm embarassed to say this, but I never even thought about my girlies - I must have known I was going be OK or I think I would've been more concerned about them & their care (what kind of horrible mom doesn't think about their kids...my life?). Dave said I was in OR about 4 hours again. They were able to get most the blood out but never found anything to repair! My Dr even called in a general surgeon because she was so stumped. Apparently that doctor is a little miffed too not to be able to find a cause. Took me back to ICU (skipped recovery this time), stayed there the next day & moved to a regular room in the middle of that night (?).  I got 3 more transfusions in there somewhere too (5 total). I was in a regular room Thursday & finally got to come home Friday. I feel ok - had a lot of trouble sleeping but always do after anesthesia & figured it might be even worse this time since they had to put me all the way under twice. I finally slept all night last night! PTL!

I am very sore (but haven't taken any prescription pain meds since I've been home) & found out why at my visit yesterday. When they were looking for the "bleeder" they lift EVERYTHING inside me around. I guess they were having a little egg hunting fun early! ;) You know me, I gotta find something positive in all this - I've lost 28 pounds since I came home - 15 of that was fluid but I have lost 13 that I had before! I'm just pretending they put a "band" in there while they were at it!! ;)

Did I leave anything out? A few on here knew and were praying me thru it as we went along - thanks guys!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:15:53 pm »
Kay ~

Wow!  What a crazy (and unpleasant) surgical experience!  I'm so sorry you had to deal with this but pleased to learn that you've come through it O.K.  Heck of a way to lose some weight, though!   ;)  Take it easy, enjoy Easter Sunday (don't overdo ) -  and thanks for posting your experience. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:26 pm »
Good grief!!  Sounds like an episode of Grey's Anatomy, without Dr. McDreamy.   So sorry you had to go through that!!!  So happy you are okay.   

Sue inVancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ombrerose4

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 09:34:13 pm »
Boy, you have certainly been through a helluva ride. I hope you have a MUCH easier recovery. You are in my thoughts and prayers :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 03:07:16 pm »
You certainly were NOT supposed to do this!  I'm so sorry to hear about what you've been through and wish you a more pleasant and speedy recovery.    I am hoping you are recovered enough so we can get together in June when I am in Houston!  We probably need to have a drink!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 03:20:51 pm »
Dale,

If Kay can't make it, change your trip to Virginia Beach and I'll definitely go have a drink with you!   ;D

And Sue, if Dr. McDreamy was there, I'd be more than willing to have my insides removed and shoved back in!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 04:51:22 pm »
Awww Kayyy! Here's hoping all is better for you...btw, I don't think there's such a thing as a "routine" hysterectomy! :)  Take care and get better!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

LisaP

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 04:54:37 pm »
Oh my goodness, just read your story, glad to hear that you are doing better. 

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Keri

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07:34 am »
kay, i've been searching on different posts as well about more details. i take a break from the forum for a couple of weeks and come back to 'oh no... what's happening with everyrone?' i didn't want to take a forum break, but things got too busy. i hope you're doing much better now. i'm concerned and praying!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

suboo73

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 03:57:23 am »
Kaybo,

Oh me, oh my - i missed all of this and am just now catching up...!
So sorry that your 'routine' procedure was not routine - what an ordeal...

I hope you are feeling better these days and enjoyed Mother's Day!

Prayers all around for continued healing.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W