Author Topic: Recovery from GK  (Read 3209 times)

melissac25

Recovery from GK
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:13:14 pm »
I am having GK next Thursday.  What should I really expect as far as how I will feel immediately after and in the coming days?  Nausea, headache, fatigue??

formula30

Re: Recovery from GK
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »
I had gamma knife done on September 21, 2010.........it was a tuesday and I was back to work on Monday.  I am very sensitive to narcotics....which they give you some for the head frame.......I only had half the dose, but it made me very nauseous.  I had no pain with putting the headframe on,  the whole procedure and everything leading up to it is painless.  Even after they took the headframe off and while taking it off, no pain!!!  When I looked in the mirror after getting home, I was surprised how small the marks were.  They didn't bruise much and almost no swelling.....didn't even need aspirin for it.  I was feeling nauseous, and I am such a baby when I feel nauseous, for a few days, I was tired and slept alot.  I believe the nausea is just something that I get from medication........anytime I have anything done.........dentist, minor surgery I am always nauseous.  So I would say this is not common for most people.  My first Mri was done at 3 months, and it had swelled, which of course caused some problems, but I never missed work, and I work at least 45 hours a week, on my feet.  I have just went back in and had another mri  done at 6 months, it has stayed the same, and looks like some possible decrease in the center from the last one.  This is really good news.  I do take decadron........not everyone needs the steroids, but they really do help with the side effects from the swelling.  I wish you luck, and can tell you I would go with gamma knife again.......honestly, I was most afraid of the headframe, piece of cake for me.  I can tell you that the people on this board are so helpful........I am always researching things so this is definitely the right place to come. :)

AnnR

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 04:44:50 pm »
I have had a very good experience with GK..I am at week 5 post GK and no problems with nausea, headache, nothing but simply a small area of numbness on my scalp.  The headframe was my greatest concern but it was nothing like I had imagined.  It simply went very easy and no pain thanks to the tiny injection at each site. 

Absolutly no pain after the frame was removed.  The staff treated me like I was the only one they were taking care of which I know that wasn't true.  I took two Ibuprofen when I left the facility and that was all.  I did have Zanax before the GK which gave me relief from the anxiety.  You may not need it and I probably didn't either but I was apprehensive about the head frame so decided that I needed it.

Hope you will do just as well and be sure to post your progress. ........AnnR

gordy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 04:53:14 pm »
i had gamma knife almost 4 years now. it was painless for me through out the process, only pain i had was when they were taking off the frame. i told them they were screwing it in. it was from the pressure that it felt that way. i had it on a thursday was back at work on monday. prabably could have gone back sooner but choose not to. best wishes.

melissac25

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:05:07 pm »
I had my GK yesterday.  The procedure itself went great.  I was given happy meds and didn't care what they did to me!  I slept through the MRI and most of the GK procedure.  My forehead is VERY swollen, as is my right eye.  VERY.  I am also swollen at the site of the radiation.  I have a dull headache, but nothing major.  No nausea or dizziness, which is great.  I am pretty tired and look like I was in a wreck, but still so much better than surgery!!

mk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:00:30 am »
I am glad all this is over. Use some cold compresses to relieve the swelling and take it easy. It is common to overdo it, especially when feeling good, but your body needs time to heal.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:26:34 am »
melissac25 ~

Congratulations of completing your GammaKnife procedure.  I'm sorry it made you look beat-up but that will pass and I trust that you'll do well.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.