Author Topic: Endoscopic removal of AN  (Read 8110 times)

Phillies

Re: Endoscopic removal of AN
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 04:11:14 pm »
For those of you for posted on this thread for had endoscopic surgery at SBI, did you ever look into Dr. Jho in Pittsburgh? With Dr. Jho being more of an accredited brain surgeon wonder why more people on these boards don't choose him over SBI? 

jerseygirl

Re: Endoscopic removal of AN
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 04:53:44 pm »
Hi Phillies,

I did look into Dr. Jho before going to Dr. Sh and the news weren't good:
  1) he does not do repeat surgeries primarily because he relies on bony landmarks upon entry and those landmarks are often destroyed in   the first surgery. Mine were totally destroyed. He needs them to position the endoscope without damaging the facial nerve. Therefore, my chances of saving facial nerve were smaller with him than other surgeons. He said he could try if I wanted to, so he did not turn me down completely.

2) I was not sure he would be the one doing the surgery (an experienced person) vs. his students (inexperienced people) whose mistakes he  might be forced to cover up. Upon graduation, many of his students claim surgeries done under his supervision as "experience" and my question is : what is really their involvement in the surgery?

3) Nobody on the forum with any size of AN has done any surgeries with him at all. People who said they would, never posted, so it is impossible to say what their experience was. if you decide to go with him, I hope you post in detail your experience because it would greatly benefit other people.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.