Author Topic: Surgegy completed  (Read 4272 times)

STG

Surgegy completed
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:15:34 pm »
Hello everyone I am back,

Surgery Wed 18th 7 hours long, Thursday afternoon transferred to regular room stopped with pain medication by Friday morning and sent home Saturday morning. I have issue with facial numbness but I am being told that right after the surgery muscle movement was not an issue I should have 100% recovery. Focusing, adjusting to sounds and sleeping are the main issues right now along with bouts of hiccups when I try to sleep.
Overall this much better than I was expecting to be feeling at this stage of recovery.

I am very thankful for Dr. Bigelow and Dr Storm, the surgery turned out exactly as expected by them and staff of Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in the ICU and hospital floor were outstanding in every level of comfort management.

This all I can handle for today I am tired already till tomorrow.
Ionel
5mm left AN/diagnosed 4/10, 2nd MRI 9/10 no change 30% hearing loss
4/11 MRI doubled in size, 90% hearing loss, balance issues, facial numbness
Translab surgery May 18th at UP Philadelphia.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgegy completed
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »
Ionel ~

Congratulations on your successful surgery and welcome to 'postie' (post-surgery) land! I'm so pleased to learn that you're home and beginning your recovery.  I'm quite confident your facial issues will be resolved fairly soon.  It will take time to adjust but you'll do it...we all do.  Rest as needed - and thanks for posting.  

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:06:37 pm »
Great news on your successful surgery and to post so quickly after ....wow.   Love hearing good stories about surgeries, gives me strength, best wishes for your continued speedy recovery!!
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

RichB57

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »
Congrats,  Glad to hear you're doing well.
Diagnosed 12/1/2010, 12.3 mm x 15.2 mm x 15.2 mm, retrosigmoid removal by Drs. Barker & Lee at MGH on April 20, 2011. Lost blood supply to auditory nerve, so SSD. Facial paralysis.

mk

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »
Great update. Take it easy and rest as much as possible. The issues you are describing are very common and will resolve with time.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:23 pm »
Welcome back, postie!

Glad to hear things went well.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tweety

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 04:24:10 am »
Ionel,  Take your time to heal.  You will be surprised how tired you are at first but each day improves.  I walked 3 times per day to help regain the balance issue.  It just takes time but our bodies are miraculous healers, allow the time for that to happen.  Some people want to jump right back into their life quickly and don't allow things to heal.  YOu will be surprised how each day is easier and you did have brain surgery. Best of luck on your recovery.  Tweety

STG

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:13:35 pm »
Hello everyone I am back for good I hope. Three days after being home I was back at the hospital with severe headaches and vomiting after a quick MRI it found that I had a blood clot in the brain it was a very close call from what I am being told do not remember much. I have been home for a week now without any pain just serious balance issues.

I have one question, does anyone know the link for the facial therapy that I have seen posted somewhere in this site?

Thank you,
Ionel

5mm left AN/diagnosed 4/10, 2nd MRI 9/10 no change 30% hearing loss
4/11 MRI doubled in size, 90% hearing loss, balance issues, facial numbness
Translab surgery May 18th at UP Philadelphia.

Phillies

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:08:24 pm »
Oh no! :( I'm so sorry to hear about your complications! What caused the blood clot?

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:35:21 am »
Oh no!! That's horrible and so scary!! So glad that it was taken care of...listen to your body and take it easy!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:58:16 am »
Ionel .....

WOW, that was scary I'm sure ..... for you and your family!

Here I was about to reply that you had a great recovery.  So glad you are OK now.  Serious balance issues are not unusual if your vestibular nerve was still working prior to surgery.  The sudden loss sends the brain into a tizzy until the other vestibular nerve takes over the whole function and your brain adjusts.

Walking in a safe environment (up and down your hallway or staying close to a wall) is the best exercise to speed up the process.  If it does not improve rather quickly, you may want to consider vestibular rehab.  I did it for months and it really helped.

Best thoughts and many prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »
Glad you are home and no more complications!
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

cin605

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:13:40 pm »
Congrats!Sorry your having some issues.Balance and vision get better over time.I wish you all the best.Rest and Eat.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old