Author Topic: Latest MRI followup after Gamma Knife  (Read 4015 times)

Richey

Latest MRI followup after Gamma Knife
« on: June 18, 2011, 06:36:38 am »
It's been a while since I posted anything here or even looked. Just got busy with other things and after a while got tired of talking about the little bugger in my head.
My GK shot was done in Feb 05 and the first MRI afterward showed a tumor that was a little larger than originally seen and measuring  9 x 7mm at this time, after that time all the MRI's were very similar with slight variations on the size. In 09 I  decided to wait two years before doing another MRI. In 09 the measurement was 10 x 6.4 mm

Had another done this week and for the first time the interpretation was that the tumor has decreased in size now measuring 7.6 x 4.5 mm

Thankful and looking forward down here in a very hot South Carolina

This is of course good news and I feel at this point that I made the right choice for me on my treatment choice. I like most of you have had side affects and no longer have any hearing on the AN side but otherwise I have managed well.

I will wait a least two more years before looking again unless there would be a reason to think it otherwise was needed.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Latest MRI followup after Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 01:40:43 pm »
Hi, Richey ~

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your apparently successful Gamma Knife treatment!  No need to apologize for moving on with your life.  See you in two years - and try to stay cool this summer!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:15:37 am »
Richey

That is the news we all hope for.  Those of us that choose readiation look forward to the MRI that shows that it has become smaller.  I am still waiting for that news, hopefully in November.

Good Luck

TJ

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:17:55 am »
Richey,

Great news. As a post GK patient, It's always good to hear success. I also had my one Year MRI yesterday, so far so good. Next one is one year. Keep up the good recovery. By the way, I though that with radiation, you needed to do an MRI yearly for life?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Richey

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:36:19 pm »
I guess it depends on the doc as to the yearly thing but mine wanted me to wait two years and I have heard that the older you get the less chance there is of the tumor growing. I actually had a different doc order this last one and he wants me to come back in a year and he may want to do it then but I do feel pretty good that it had not changed much in all the other MRI's and then was a little smaller this time. Who knows with the way insurance is changing and me headed into medicare next year. I can only wonder how long they will approve getting them done so often.