Author Topic: Can anyone give me a hand?  (Read 3472 times)

jmcneil189

Can anyone give me a hand?
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:33:38 pm »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there is aware of any type of grant type thing that non cancerous tumor survivors can apply for? So far, everything I have come across only applies to patients with cancerous tumors. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks all,
Jesse

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Can anyone give me a hand?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:13:10 pm »
Jesse ~

You should probably apply for SSDI.  Here's a link: http://www.socialsecurity-disability.org/content/about-ssdi?gclid=CMffipWQw6oCFQjc4Aod6QJ1XA   Good luck!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jmcneil189

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:13:59 pm »
Heh, yeah did that back in September of last year. Waiting on the county to decide my hearing date. Fun stuff I tell yeah. I'm not exactly impressed with my lawyers either.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:40:26 pm »
Jesse ~

Being approved for SSDI is a hit-or-miss proposition.  Although some receive approval on the first try, the norm is at least a year.  It took my wife (who had severe spinal problems and many operations )  - even with an attorney working for her, close to two years to be approved for an SSDI benefit.  So, you may have to wait awhile.  the SSDI 'award' (their term) process moves slowly.  If you're financially hard-pressed, there may be state or even local benefits available.  I suggest you conduct a Google search for such benefits available in your state/city.  If you've already done that, I have no other suggestions, other than asking relatives, friends or even your church (if applicable) for some assistance until you receive an SSDI award.  I hope you can find some help, soon.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jmcneil189

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:08:30 pm »
So do I. So do I. I appreciate the input.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:24 pm »
It took almost 5 years to get my disability--had nothing to do with the tumor, --it was my post-op migraines and depression that they based the decision on.  Are you looking for an artist's or a college tuition grant? There are hundreds of those out there.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:24 pm »
Jesse -

are you "disabled" - as in hearing impaired? 

There might be some assistance out there for people with disabilities that you may qualify for.

Search the web.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »
***CLAP, CLAP, CLAP****  There, I gave you a HAND!!

O.K., I was just being silly of course!

Now as for a "grant", I have never seen anything like that.   I assume you are looking in a ways for some kind of financial help..??..??   Or maybe medical help??   I know that some places like hospitals have certain grants and are able to help some people that need assistance with their hospital bills due to low income.   Don't know much more, just know my mom once was able to use it after emergency cataract surgery & no insurance.

Sounds like you are going the route like others have mentioned with the Social Security disability.   That is probably your best bet, but only if you have multiple issues and are not reliable for a daily job.   I too have won my case, just recently, with the help of an attorney.   But I am like Captain Deb and it wasn't because of the tumor, but things that have 'spiraled' since my surgery: migraines, head & neck pain, tmj....chronic pain issues, tinnitus, SSD, eye stuff, plus depression & anxiety, and a few other things.    According to my attorney because I was under the age of 50 it makes it much harder to be awarded.   My biggest thing for me though was that basically it is hard to predict how I will be hour to hour, so it makes me more unreliable to commit to anything.    I was awarded and after 1 year I will be reviewed because I am still seeking help and possible I will get better.       I was lucky because here in Michigan in my region they opened up some new courts for disability cases.   I went through the denials, etc. and got to & won my case all about a year after I started, filed, for it (which was about 6 months post surgery.....when the doctors seen I wasn't getting better very quick).   

I hope things work out for you!    If you have any questions on the disability, feel free to PM me anytime.

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI