Author Topic: My turn for BAHA!  (Read 4704 times)

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
My turn for BAHA!
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:20:45 pm »
I saw an ENT for the first time today since my retromastoid surgery almost 17 months ago.  I also had my hearing tested and of course, I'm totally deaf in my left ear.  The good news is that I have perfect hearing in my right ear.  I have an appointment Sept. 1 for a BAHA consult.  I'm told I'm a perfect candidate for one, but now all the panic is setting in.  I've been reading everyone's posts about the surgery and the insurance problems.  I believe I'm blessed again as my insurance documentation says it will cover a BAHA (surgery and device) as long as I can't be helped with an in-ear hearing aid.  I'm definitely going to do general...if the doctor allows it.  I'm not sure there's enough Xanax to keep me calm through the whole procedure.

Keep posting everyone...I feel as if I only post when I need your support, but thank God you are here.  You've helped me through a lot of tough times in the last year and a half.  I may not be posting sometimes, but I am reading.  My next MRI is scheduled is less than a month.  Hopefully, I'll find out then if the 'enhancement' is scar tissue or new tumor growth.

God bless...
Pat
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: My turn for BAHA!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:28:13 pm »
Pat -

the BAHA continues to be a great solution to my SSD and I think it will be a great solution to yours also.  I thought the demo was fantastic - and the real thing IMO is even better.

I'm glad your insurance covers both the surgery and the doc - thankfully mine did, too.

Good luck with the consult and the MRI; keeping my fingers crossed for scar tissue.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:26:42 pm »
If you are worried about "calming your nerves" consider conscious sedation instead of a general.  It's safer, shorter acting and you won't remember a thing!  It's a good way to go. 
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:13:35 pm »
Pat .....

So glad you are going for the BAHA consult.  I am so glad I went ahead with mine.  No problems whatsoever and having sound input from my "deaf" side is wonderful!  Would not change a thing!

My abutment was put in during my translab surgery so it was under general anesthetic.  If I had done it later, I would have asked for the conscious sedation.

Best thoughts.  Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:20:44 pm »
I had my eye surgery under local, but had no choice.  I had to be awake so they could ask me to open and close my eye while they were adjusting the ligament.  Was pretty uncomfortable and scary.

Conscious sedation....is that the same as twilight sleep?
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:52:18 am »
Hi Pat .....

Not quite sure, but I think twilight sleep may be something different.  Conscious sedation, to me at least, is like what most people have for minor procedures that you do not want to remember ..... like colonoscopies, etc.  My doctor uses Versed for such procedures and you do not remember a thing, but you quickly wake up after the procedure and usually have none of the general anesthesia aftereffects.

Remember, I am not a medically trained person so I could be "all wet" on this.   ;D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:14:51 pm »
Conscious sedation is given IV.  The medications they use are the same things they use for colonoscopies and endoscopies and angiograms and things like that.  You will think you are sleeping and you won't remember anything.  You will be arousable so that you can talk to them or they can talk to you.  You just won't remember much.  They gave me a very small amount of medication and I knew what was going on, but totally did not care!  I went out to lunch on my way home from the procedure.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:18 pm »
Conscious sedation is given IV.  The medications they use are the same things they use for colonoscopies and endoscopies and angiograms and things like that.  You will think you are sleeping and you won't remember anything.  You will be arousable so that you can talk to them or they can talk to you.  You just won't remember much.  They gave me a very small amount of medication and I knew what was going on, but totally did not care!  I went out to lunch on my way home from the procedure.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

2puttchuck

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:49:55 am »
I have partial hearing in one ear due to my AN, and use Phonak Bicros hearing aids solve my single sided hearing issues.  They work great for me.  But I was wondering if being totally deaf in the bad ear prevents the Bicros device from being a possible solution to single sided deafness?  The Bicros is reasonably priced and I think less intrusive than BAHA.  Just curious, in case I ultimately lose all hearing in my bad ear.
16 x 13 x 9 right side AN diagnosed in 1/09.
Right side hearing loss is primary symptom. 
Grew to 20 x 15 x 15 by 6/11.
GK surgery at University Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, on 9/7/11.

Paul F

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 11:06:48 am »
Hi,
I am 100 percent deaf in my SSD ear and use the new Phonak Cros which is just a microphone that transmits the sound from the deaf side to the better side.  I then have the Phonak Audeo hearing aid in the better ear  to complete the BiCros set up.  They are programed to work together and they work great.  No feedback, no annoying background noise.  I am not sure of the cost on this system since the VA has supplied it for me.
Hope this helps,
Paul

2puttchuck

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:06 pm »
That is exactly the system I have.  Cost me about $2900, but mine wasn't covered by insurance.  As I understand it, a BAHA may have been covered under my Medicare Advantage Plan, even though hearing aids are not (I think the BAHA is considered an implant and is therefore covered).  Even with the out of pocket cost, I think I would prefer the Phonak Cros over the BAHA, but that is just my personal choice - it is good to have choices. I thought maybe the Cros device worked for me because I still have partial hearing in my bad ear.  Glad to hear it will work if lose more hearing in my bad ear.  Thanks for your input.

Chuck
16 x 13 x 9 right side AN diagnosed in 1/09.
Right side hearing loss is primary symptom. 
Grew to 20 x 15 x 15 by 6/11.
GK surgery at University Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, on 9/7/11.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:37:42 pm »
(I think the BAHA is considered an implant and is therefore covered).

The BAHA is indeed an implant - or a prothesis - not technically a hearing aid, which is why lots of insurance companies cover it.

I'm 100% SSD in my "bad" ear and my BAHA works wonders.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways