Author Topic: post ck... 05/07  (Read 1919 times)

candtlaw

post ck... 05/07
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:15:31 pm »
Just popping in to see if there were any old posties still hanging out... cannot believe it has been so long. Also wanting to get advice about checkups, MRIs for follow up... how long does your Dr recommend you follow up? Thanks
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: post ck... 05/07
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:39 pm »
I'm an old postie  ;D

I don't know my doc's rules for radiation patients, but his patients who had surgery (like me) have an annual MRI for the first 5 years post op.  If they are "clean" I think he moves to MRIs every 2-3 years. 

Different docs have different "rules".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »
Hi, Cyndi!

As you can see, I'm still here.  :)  As for the follow-up, just as Jan indicated, that usually depends on your doctor's preference.  I had many follow-up MRI scans for the first few years after my debulking surgery and subsequent FSR.  However, I had a great recovery, no symptoms ever arose so I haven't had an MRI for 3 years.  That's partly because of the expense (the co-pay is a lot for me), my neurosurgeon hasn't requested that I have another MRI (he is very cautious) - and I feel great!  However, should symptoms re-appear or my doctor request that I have a 'fresh' MRI, I will do so.  Otherwise, perhaps next year (or the following year).  We'll see.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

candtlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:58 am »
Hi there Jim and Jan :)  Good to see you :) :) thanks for your input.... Dr M from the CK site has suggested I get my last MRI in hand because I have moved and then have another... just copay, like yours Jim, expensive BUT thank God I have the insurance so I guess I will be talking to my husband about going and getting another.

I just still struggle with the tinnitus and concentration troubles... worried me sometimes so it will be good to see again that CK has done his job and it is still a dead tumor... 
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)