Author Topic: New Pain - CSF leak?  (Read 2802 times)

Stephanie

New Pain - CSF leak?
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:26:31 pm »
I am 1 yr./1mo. post op. Yesterday I got a pain so bad my husband had to pick me up from work because I couldn't drive. The pain is strongest at the area of my surgery but radiates up to the temple. It is only on the one side. It feels like a migraine and I have migraine symptoms but again it is only one side, usually my migraines are different.   

I have nausea, feel like vomiting (but can't actually do it) and I am slightly incohearant (sp?)
I still have the headache today, I have taken tylenol, darvocet, applied a cold pack, etc., I have tried everything I can think of.

Anyone have anything similar? What are the symptoms of CSF leaks? I had a CSF leak after my surgery that was repaired, but my symptoms were easy, I was leaking fluid from my scar so I don't know what the other signs are.

Any ideas? If it is still here Monday, or if I just can't stand it anymore, I will be going to the doctor. 
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New Pain - CSF leak?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »
Stephanie ~

I'm sorry to learn of your pain.  It could be a CSF leak, although those usually occur, as yours did, immediately post-surgery.  However, they can happen at a later date and severe headache is one symptom.  I suggest you consider visiting your local Emergency Room if this persists.  Why struggle all weekend with this kind of debilitating pain?  I hope this resolves spontaneously but if not, I trust you'll see a doctor and be able to (a) ascertain the cause of the headaches and, (b) find relief.  When you're able, please let us know how this plays out.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 05:11:54 pm »
If this is the worse headache you have ever had in your life then go to ER to make is not aneurysm.    It probably is not a CSF leak.             You would have dripping from nose or at the swelling at the incision site.     Possible fever too if becoming mengitis which you would also have a stiff neck.     It could well be a migraine too.            I would get checked out at ER.             
                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Grateful_1

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:56:44 pm »
I agree with Cheryl and Jim. It's probably not a CSF leak at this late stage.  I've had leaks from my nose and ear and neither felt as bad as you described.  They really were more just annoying than anything else.  A trip to the ER is definitely in order.  Take care and good luck.
St. Louis University Hosp., St. Louis, MO
Drs. A. Mikulec and D. Sasaki-Adams
12/28/10 - Translab surg for 2.5cm AN on right
1/13/11- lumbar drain, pulmonary embolism
3/11/11 - menengitis
4/12/11 & 5/26/11 - CSF leak repairs
SSD, facial paralysis, balance issues, fatigue