Author Topic: the Incision /shaved head  (Read 4790 times)

lmurray69

the Incision /shaved head
« on: July 11, 2006, 02:31:48 pm »
Can you tell me do woman have a side of their head shaved like the men,? and what do we do wear a scarf to cover it ?..my hair is short, so it will be noticeable wont it..I know ,I hope this is all that i have to worry about ..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

amymeri

Re: the Incision /shaved head
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 02:54:28 pm »
My hair is shoulder length.  My NS shaved the side of my head behind my ear from the top of the ear to my neck.  He left enough hair from the top of my head to cover it, although it looks a little stringy some days.  Generally, people can't tell except if they see the scar on my neck.

I found a scarf rubbed the incision and was uncomfotable until there was some good healing.  About 2 mos post op I was okay with a scarf.  Some people use hats.  You might need glasses/sunglasses after the surgery if you have facial paralysis (because without a blink you can't squint and your eye will dry out in a breeze)  Beware because the earpiece on the glasses can rub, too.

I often wear a ponytail and people can see my scar.  I figure it gives them a bit of a rubber necking thrill and I don't worry about it too much!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Mousiez

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 03:10:55 pm »
Don't worry about it.Please
Hello, maybe I can help ease some stress...simply by letting you know that losing your hair, and having a scar on your skull...it does not mean the end of the world.
 Hello, my name is Mousie, I have survived 43 brain surgeries since 1981,I was 13 then, I'm 38 now. I wasn't even supposed to survive that first surgery,either. The nice doctors at UCDavis informed my parents to make plans for a funeral, and if I did survive,I would be in a vegetative state the rest of my short life.
I always liked the idea of being a carrot.
But I did survive (became 'patient of the month' on rounds), and I survived being bald wtih scars on my head. In my case, again,and again,and again,again...to 43 times.
 And when given the choice to have it all shaved, or partly shaved...well...for ME(just me maybe) is to shave it all. Get a nice hat, don't waste time on a wig(they're icky hot)...
And if anyone look at your wierd(some do), smile...because you're alive.
There are worse things than just losing the hair, it grows back, enjoy what you have.
by the way, if anyone is scared of radiation treatment....I had that too....it was fun.
Mousie

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:16:55 pm »
It all depends on what type of surgery you are going to have, Middle Fossa, Trans Lab, etc. Some doctors will only shave about 1/2 inch where the incision will be, but other doctors, like my own, shaved my head 4 fingers high over my ear. You can ask them if they will make an exception for you. When I had my surgery, I was so concerned about my hair (it is normally short) I took a hat with me to the hosptial. After the surgery, I was so happy to still be alive, that not having any hair on one side of my head did not bother me at all. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

lmurray69

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 03:48:01 pm »
Thank you all . I will try and have a upper chin and grin. I am 54yrs and not getting any younger.. But I will try the small hat..or scarf ok heck maybe they will give me a mohock...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 05:13:03 pm »
I didn't even realize they had shaved my head until my mom sent me the picture of me in the hospital....trust me that was the farthest thing from my mind.  I didn't want anything on my head either.  Mousie what a story...glad you're still here to tell it!  I liked your carrot comment... :o

Obita

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 05:43:06 pm »
lmurray69:

Yup, you get shaved all right.  I had translab so my incision is behind my ear.  My Dr. shaved about 2" by 3" (some don't shave that much).  I have short hair so the day before surgery I went for a haircut and had her shave the back of my head real short.  A month later she evened it all out and that was it.  I did bring a bandana with me the day I got the pressure bandage off (thank God as my sister said) because my hair was sticking out the top.  Once the bandage was off I looked like Bart Simpson.  I never did wear a bandana after that because I didn't care.  I was alive and I was very proud of my incision!!

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:30 pm »
Having short hair is good.  I had a translab and had a stip of hair about an inch or so wide from above my ear to my neck shaved.  My other hair covered it fairly well.  Since it was short it didn't take long until it grew back to the same length as the other side.  It's probably one of the last things you will be thinking about right after surgery. 

Mouse, you have an amazing story.  Such a good attitude.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Static

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:03:26 pm »
They don't usually shave your whole head or even the whole side of your head.  I just used a combover.  Many people use that everyday in general, Donald Trump for one, so I guess it's lucky to be able to do it at all! LOL  Really, it will be the last thing you think about and it's not that bad!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

DeniseSmith

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 06:11:23 am »
My hair is shoulder length, so my incision did not show unless I pulled my hair back into a ponytail. 

I have to tell you though, that was one of the first questions I asked my dr. do you have to shave my head?  I think I was more worried about my hair than me.  Maybe I was just in shock, I don't  know.  But after the surgery how my hair looked was the furthest thing on my mind.  I didn't, however, like the way it smelled when my "turbin" was removed.  Very Very Nasty.

Mousie, glad to hear you have such a great attitude, it far exceeds mine and I have only had two brain surgeries!!

Denise

lmurray69

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 08:43:22 pm »
Thanks guy and gals for all the comments glad you can look back and have a good time...Thats what i like about this site..and all the wonderful people..