Author Topic: Diagnosed with AN in Folsom, CA  (Read 2600 times)

LAS

Diagnosed with AN in Folsom, CA
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:08 am »
Hi, diagnosed a week ago with AN - 2x2x2cm tumor on left side, hearing loss and facial numbness.  Looking for help with AN Surgeons in the Northern California area. 

Thanks so much!
Lori

Kaybo

Re: Diagnosed with AN in Folsom, CA
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:35:05 pm »
Hi Lori!

I am not in California, but I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum.  I'm sure someone will be along soon that can help you out.  All I know about Caiifornia is that House Ear Institute is in LA...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:26:10 pm »
Hi Lori and welcome

Stanford is one of the best in AN treatments in N. CA (for surgical and radiation treatments of AN's).  Many here on the forums that have been treated at Stanford. May be a good starting point for you.

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:43:42 pm »
Consult with House Ear in LA. They are the experts
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

latirus

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:25:54 am »
I have a 1.5 mm largest dimension AN and my insurance included the UC Davis Medical Canter.  I saw two surgeons, Dr. Diaz and Dr. Brodie.  They sent me to Radiation Oncology, Dr. Fragoso, who does Gamma Knife treatment.  I respected all three and would recommend seeing them if your situation allows.  These days one is expected to choose one's treatment if the odds are about the same for surgery or radiation, so you will probably do lots of reading on the internet.  (Dr. Diaz and others have a paper following up on the results from radiation, although the data is all that long-term

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/857604-overview

My tumor size and symptoms (only hearing loss) came out slightly in favor of radiation.  No immediate ill effects but I've got about 18 months in which problems could develop.

latirus

Correction! Re: Diagnosed with AN in Folsom, CA
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:32:53 am »
Sorry, I meant 1.5 cm.  Wishful thinking.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:20:34 am »
My two cents - Stanford.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways