Author Topic: Does the weather affect post AN symptoms  (Read 4415 times)

Chances3

Does the weather affect post AN symptoms
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:14:26 pm »
Hi All,

I was having an awesome week last week, and than the rainy weather came in the other day.  I've become wonky wonky wonky, it feels like a two month setback in my recovery.  Does the weather affect us?  Do I have to move to the dessert ?

Thanks,

Chances3

jdunavan

Re: Does the weather affect post AN symptoms
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 05:52:03 pm »
Yes, I would definately say the weather effects the way you feel.  I joke with my family that I feel like a weather man, I can tell when it's going to rain.  I'm sure it has to do with the barimetric pressure in the air and the way your ears respond to it.  I have made myself several small rice bags (cut a towel into to squares, sew it like a pillow and fill with rice).  I pop it in the microwave for a minute or so then put it on the side of my face and ear. The moist heat helps relieve the pressure in my ear.
Joanne
1.4 cm in right ear

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »
I definitely feel worse when the weather changes. Increased pressure ='s increased headache/neck or face pain:(
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:14 pm »
My surgery (retrosigmoid) was a little over 4 years ago and I've never been affected by the weather post op.

Maybe I'm just lucky  ???

Whatever the reason, I'm thankful.  The weather here in Chicago changes hourly at times  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:47:31 am »
Weather changes affect me....sometimes with wonky head, sometimes with headaches...This summer was very hot, and it affected me. 
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Chances3

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:10:58 am »
Hi Joanne,

That's an awesome idea with the rice bags.  I'm going to make them for myself.

I've always thought humidity ( moisture ) and barometric pressure has an impact.

Hearing from others has convinced me of that.

painter

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:09:11 am »
Interesting that you would ask about this.  I was living in the northwest when I had my surgery 19 months ago.  Trying to go outside in Central Oregon during recovery was agonizing.  The cold air made it difficult to go for a walk well into May.  We then moved to the valley where it rains all the time, but not as cold. That helped. But we thought moving down to the desert in AZ would really help.  Now I find that my head doesn't like heat anymore than it does cold. Talk about wonky.  So for me it's moderate temperatures (usually indoors). Pin pointing what causes extreme symptoms is an ongoing guessing game where there is no help from the medical field.  Good luck with your recovery, I know we're all different.
Painter

Chances3

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:07:04 am »
Hi Painter,

Like you, I don't take to sunshine as well when I am in the wonky stage, it's almost like relief when I go inside and get out of the sun.  It seems from the responses weather plays a role. Good Luck.

To Joanne,

My wife is willing to make those rise bags for me.  She wanted to know what type of rice you use.

jmcneil189

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 05:46:37 pm »
I've don't really have any issues with sunshine/heat. Just have to wear sunglasses. The cold is what gets me. Causes a significant amount of pain where the scar is. Luckily, I live in TX, so it's only cold 3 months out of the year. The other problem I have is wind. When it's windy, it sounds like a freight train going past my good ear.

jdunavan

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 07:18:35 pm »
Just regular cheap white rice!  I love rice bags.  They are great for sinus pressure too. I keep one at work and one at home!
Joanne
1.4 cm in right ear

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 03:44:18 am »
OH yes...I definitely feel it when weather comes in!! Some days are worse than others...
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Stephanie

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »
Hi,

I have trouble with the weather too. But don't move to the desert, it doesn't help any : ) I live in So. Cal and get both very hot and very cold weather. I get pain and headaches in the heat just as much as in the cold. Obviously the sever temperatures make a difference and I agree with the others who say the pressure and humity have something to do with it, that's when I notice it most.

For those of you like me who don't sew... Bed Bath and Beyond also has rice packs, they work as well cold as they do warm. Mine been my best friend since my surgery! You have to watch them though, my dog ate mine:) I got an even bigger one this time but now I keep it out of reach from the dogs.

Stephanie
AN 3 cm left side (1.7 cm @ diagnosis 5 mo. prior - MRI didn't show all)  Surgical removal 7/12/10, CSF leak - surgical repair 7/26/10

jak1

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 04:39:27 pm »
I have had long dull throbbing headaches in the rear of my skull on both sides for a few days.  I live in NYC and I really think it is due to barometric pressure changes.. I have been recovering really well.. and all of a sudden, it felt like a big setback.. It has been 3.5 months since CK, so tumor swelling is another possible answer to this.. however, it does really feel weather related.. I am tired, wonky and have long lasting head aches.. Uggggg.
2.7cm AN diagnosed 4/11.  Stanford CK 5/11.