Author Topic: MRI in one week - wish me luck  (Read 3783 times)

IanO

MRI in one week - wish me luck
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:35 am »
Since February, I've had tinnitus mostly in my RH ear, but a little in the left too, ever-worsening high frequency loss in my right ear along with "fullness", jaw pain, and an odd metallic taste in my mouth. My doctor has been prescribing me ever-strong cortico-steroids for my sinuses and I'd also assumed it was a sinus or Eustachian tube problem.

I was then referred to an ENT who is getting me into an MRI ASAP. Only then did I do more research and learn about ANs.

I know they are rare, so it's most likely something else, but the match of symptoms is rather worrying.

BTW, when I take ibuprofen (a COX-2 inhibitor) for my jaw pain, I have less tinnitus and I could also swear that my hearing is better. Anyone else found this?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: MRI in one week - wish me luck
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:00 am »
Hi IanO and welcome to this forum ......

I think everyone on the forum will agree that we certainly hope you do not have an acoustic neuroma.  However, your symptoms are certainly similar to those of us with acoustic neuromas.  Keep in mind that your symptoms could also be explained through another diagnosis, as well.

Be sure to let us know what the MRI report says and we are here for you if, indeed, it turns out to be an AN.

Best thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

IanO

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:38:09 am »
> Keep in mind that your symptoms could also be explained through another diagnosis, as well.

I'm certainly hoping so, though given how doctors treat you when it's "just" tinnitus, having something objective to point to (hopefully not AN!) would be nice.

I'm keeping on with the sinus meds (even stronger corticosteriods than the previous two attempts) as that does seem to be helping with my middle ear issues.

> Be sure to let us know what the MRI report says and we are here for you if, indeed, it turns out to be an AN.

Will do.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »
Good luck!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:31:30 am »
In the event you have an AN, you are in the right place. Great community here with personal experiences that will keep you on an even keel. I hope you don't have to stay here, but if you do, welcome to the club.

James

IanO

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:39:34 am »
Depending on which study I read, my symptoms suggest a probability of between 3% and 30%: I've stopped reading studies.

You certainly all seem like very nice people, but so are nurses, and I'm sure we're all glad to be able to say goodbye to them!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 01:15:16 pm »
Hi, Ian ~

Welcome to the ANA discussion forums.  We occasionally have visits from folks like you with symptoms similar to an acoustic neuroma that later are diagnosed with something else or the MRI shows nothing out of the ordinary so the patient is back to Square One.  Of course, sometimes the MRI will show the presence of an acoustic neuroma.  You know the odds so I'll leave it at that and look forward to learning the results of your MRI scan.  Just know that the ANA and our members stand ready to help educate, advise and support you if you're diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma.  Even if you're not, please consider us your friends and use the forum to vent or whatever.  We'll understand.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 02:28:06 am »
Hello there!!  I wish you luck with the MRI! Just so  you know, I have seen very few positive results for AN from people who come here and express their worries about this bugger....so I hope your MRI will show NO AN in your head!! Keep that trend going! :) Good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston