Author Topic: Chelsea - Day 29 and hair issues  (Read 2943 times)

chelsmom

Chelsea - Day 29 and hair issues
« on: July 14, 2006, 02:56:44 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Well we are still here at UCLA with no release date in sight.  We've been told anywhere from 3-6 weeks more.  This is OK with me as I feel they are being very careful about everything that pertains to her care.  She was to have a surgery on her vocal cord today but was bumped from the schedule and will be rescheduled for Mon. or Tues.  She is now doing some speech and physical therapy and was able to stand with the walker for a minute or so.  I'm sure she'll be running laps before long.  She still has the tracheostomy and feeding tube so until her lungs are healthy, she has the surgery, and she show signs of swallowing they will keep them in. Her surgeon told us that this tumor turned out to be a 6 cm instead of 4.5-5 cm and that he is happy to see that she is doing as well as she is at this point in time.  Now for a really important question.... how do we get her matted mess of hair untangled.  Her hair is long with some curl and is awful.  It is matted with blood and betadine (sp) and hasn't been washed in almost a month.  Someone said to put peanut butter or mayonaise in it but I don't want to do anything that would cause any problems to her surgery sights.  They are going to take out the staples on Mon. so she will be able to wash her hair on Wed.  Just planning ahead.  Any suggestions???   Michelle

Boppie

Re: Chelsea - Day 29 and hair issues
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:14:15 pm »
I would allow plain water to run over the matted area for a long enough time to soften the mats and allow the tangles to fall out from their own weight in the water.  Combing or pulling will hurt the scalp and make the mats bunchier.  If you phone your home hairdresser, she might have some suggestions on how she gets tangles out of little girls' hair.

I would defintely get a pick style comb for her to use.  You can find these in a beauty supply store (the kind they use for combing through colorants) Don't use a small comb or one with close teeth.

matti

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 06:15:24 pm »
My hair was really matted after my bandages came off.  I used baby conditioner/no more tangles and slowy combed it through my hair with a large tooth comb and let it sit for a bit . My head was really sensitive and it did take a while, but it worked.

Happy to hear that Chelsea is doing better each day. What a fighter she is and a true source of inspiration.

Hugs to you!
cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:47:20 am »
I too would try Johnson's No Tangle Cream and just work her hair gently with a big comb. She will feel so much better once it can be washed. I was surprised at how little pain there was at the surgery site.  Do they have a beauty shop in the hospital? Maybe they can help too and don't forget to talk to the nurses, they are a wealth of information. Good luck to her and you.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 08:01:17 am »
Definitely a pick or large tooth comb!  Also, you can get spary on detangler, or use the baby conditioner slowly working it through her hair.  Just do it in small sections are her head should be tender.  I know mine was!  I wanted to belt the first hairdresser who did mine as she was clueles...good thing I was too out of it to care  LOL.  Best of luck to you guys!

shoegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 09:35:13 am »
Hi,

Best Wishes to Chelsea!

I would recommend using a detangler/leave-in-conditioner.  TIGI makes a really good one that you spray on.  Use a wide tooth comb.  Most importantly start at the ends and gently work through it with the comb (in a downward motion).  Also recommend after washing her hair - not to wrap it in a towel (this may create more tangles/mats).  Just kind of blot it dry and have a towel drapped over her shoulders.

Good Luck!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ