Author Topic: 5 days out of surgery  (Read 3233 times)

bethbertolini

5 days out of surgery
« on: October 25, 2011, 05:37:47 pm »
Hi everyone! I am 5 days out of surgery for a 4 cm AN. I had my surgery at the HEI in LA and seem to be doing very well. I am staying at my sister's house in the area until this Friday when I get my stitches out. So far so good on my facial nerve. My surgery was Translab so I have no hearing on my left side now. I feel blessed that they got the whole tumor and my face looks good except for the steroid swelling. I have a slight headache all the time and I'm quite tired most of the time. My jaw is sore from all the maneuvering they had to do to get that big tumor out. I've been up and walking for 4 days but still have some dizziness. That first day post surgery was really awful.If I opened my eyes it was like a constant hallucination. That is much improved already. The nurse in ICU, Hilda, was an angel from God to me. I had great experiences with the staff at St. Vincents. They took great care of me and kept me moving forward. 
My plan is to keep doing just that everyday until I am myself again. Maybe even a better self! Certainly not one with a big old tumor to worry about. I'm so glad I came out here for this surgery and followed all the Dr's orders. I'll write a better account of my surgery and it's details when I'm not quite so tired.
Many thanks to all of you who encouraged me when I was diagnosed. I hope I can be some inspiration to others like you have been to me..
Beth

diagnosed  Left side 3.6 cm. AN 7/11
surgery scheduled @ HEI 10/20/11 Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz
 Now post op and healing. AN turned out a little bigger but what's the difference at 3.6-4cm. Very little.
I think I'm making decent progress

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: 5 days out of surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:28 pm »
Great news on your outcome! I hope things continue well for you.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

rvb755

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:22:13 am »
Beth, so glad to hear things are going well.  I had Hilda in the ICU also, and like you said they are truly angels from God on that first day out of surgery.  Keep us updated and continue recovering.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:34:57 am »
Hi Beth .....

Typing a forum post at 5 days post op after a large AN removal is a great accomplishment in itself.  Sounds like you are doing extremely well.  Sure like to read about these success stories.

Having had my translab surgery at HEI six months ago, I can concur that I'm glad you went there.

I feel confident you will make rapid improvement in your recovery because you are getting up and walking and doing all of the right things.  Once the stitches are out and you have finished the steroids, you should feel a whole lot more like yourself.

Thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:09 am »
Beth,

I like hearing good news. I'm glad your surgery went well. Your positive attitude is the best & will help you along in your recovery. I look forward to reading more. Get plenty of rest.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:35:34 pm »
Hi, Beth - and congratulations on your successful AN surgery!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JAndrews

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:42:01 pm »
Great news!!! Best wishes to you
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

schmidtkat

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:50:55 pm »
So glad to read of your successful surgery. I too was at the HEI and had Hilda as a nurse. Dr. Schwartz performed my surgery with Dr. House on Sept. 2nd to remove a 3.2cm AN. What a fabulous place to be for such a scary time in life. I can also relate to the vision and jaw issues you mention. My jaw remained sore for a while, but a chiropractor has given me great relief and this also relieved headaches for me. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.  Kathy

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »
You sound great at five days......hope your recovery keeps going smooth
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

sterry

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:40 pm »
Congratulations Beth!
It sounds like you had a great result!! So glad for you! I hope the rest of your recovery goes well for you! The House is an awesome place and we are all very fortunate for the surgeons and nurses ! I am 2 years post trans and count my lucky stars everyday that I found the best surgeons for my surgery.  My only issue after surgery is a tongue thing, salty all the time and feels too big for my mouth.
Susie in Wyoming
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well