Author Topic: Nerve grafts  (Read 3493 times)

bluestar

Nerve grafts
« on: June 06, 2005, 03:41:56 pm »
I'm booked to go into hospital for the first stage of a nerve graft operation for facial paralysis. Does anyone have experience of this procedure?

Bluestar
bluestar

russ

Re: Nerve grafts
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 03:43:31 pm »
Hi Vera
  I'm sure you will receive some replies but this is out of a pt. developed web site: www.anarchive.org/followup.htm
  I trust you'll do well!
  Russ

ckhegrat

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 07:23:58 pm »
Yes, I had the graft where they take a hollow nerve from your ankle and attach it to the nfacial nerve on the good side and take it across and attach it to the bad side.  It took about 9 months before I noticed any movement.  Then I had the facial sling done about 1 year later.  I went from 0 movement to about 60% or movement and still improving.  That was in 2000 and 2001.  I look pretty normal now.  I still do not have a symetric smile but at least there is movement.

Kim

kristin

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 10:20:56 pm »
wow! that is so interesting! doctors continue to impress me! i'm glad to hear you're getting better. its unbelievable that something like taking a nerve from your ankle to your brain would work.
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 07:45:34 pm »
Bluestar: yes I have had the surgery you are going for, in fact I have had a total of 6 "plastic repairs" to my face since my a.n. removal and subsequent facial palsy. It's a whole lot to type, let me know if your interested in the details. In a nut shell I have had a hypoglossal transfer, a cross facial nerve graft, a fascia sling, a muscle transfer and they cut a nerve that gives movement to the lower lip on the good side to "even things up". The particular surgery you ask about...the site where they take the nerve from in the leg is more painful than the face and I suggest if you drive standard you have them take it from the right leg (it would really hurt to depress the clutch). Kathleen ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 07:48:15 pm by Kathleen_Mc »
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)