Author Topic: AN and cell phones...  (Read 4891 times)

vicki1967

AN and cell phones...
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:54:57 pm »
Just curious as to how many people - with Acoustic Neuromas - have the tumor in the ear used when talking on a cell phone. Mine was in my left ear, same as my listening ear (cell phone). I had my surgery back in '08 and haven't used a cell phone since '09 when I found out cell phones MAY be a contributing factor to these tumors.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: AN and cell phones...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 04:51:18 am »
Hi Vicki

There is a statement from the ANA from their website homepage regarding their stance on this issue. This topic has gone around and around on these forums and if you do a "Search" option (top/right) from the forum home page, you will see the numerous discussions regarding the topic.  Bottom line.... there is no definative medical proof and more studies needs to be done.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:12:34 am »
Left cell phone ear...right AN.

circuitbent

• Ma-ma-ma-my schwannoma!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:02:18 pm »
I'm the same as James E: Left side cell phone ear, right side neuroma close to my brain stem.  You never know, though. It might not matter which side the phone is held on.  It will be interesting to see what new studies show on this.
10/7/2011 diagnosed 2.6cm schwannoma, right side
10/26/2011 Retrosigmoid removal performed: actual size +3cm jugular schwannoma

TP

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:13:32 am »
I used my cell phone on my left side and my AN was on my left side. However, for years at work I used a head set on my left side as well and have sat in front of a computer since the early 80's. I have SSD and I try to use a speaker phone whenever I am on a phone (cell or lan line). I don't think we will ever know what causes AN's (at least in my lifetime). Everyday we hear conflicting studies about the effects of alcohol, food, mamograms, exercise and I think we probably should use good common sense to manage our life and health situations. I treasure what's left of my hearing and I am going to avoid really loud places or anything that could affect hearing loss which means I am going to "try and avoid" putting anything to my ear except earrings  ;D   
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

New girl

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:06:07 am »
My AN side and my cell phone side are the same.  I now use an earbud that plugs into the phone since I dont want to risk losing any of my good hearing.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:03:29 pm »
Right AN and right sided cell phone user......now I use the left and it is dam awkward.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 07:34:11 am »
My personal opinion on cells phones and AN's is that I'm not totally convinced tnat they do not cause ANs.  What is NOT being studied is the older cell phones that we all used when we were probably exposed to higher levels of radiation.  I text more than I talk on my cell now, and save the long conversations for my home phone.  Just my two cents.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 01:43:55 pm »
I always used a hands-free talk thing for my cell phone, not a blue tooth headset, something with speakers that was installed in my truck, and really have never spent that much time talking anyway.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 05:09:32 pm »
Ah yes, the infamous cell phone debate rears its ugly head again  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 08:02:43 pm »
Well this is one of those "curious" topics that medical science says no there isnt any correlation, but folks just go on and on about it.  LOL

I have never used a cell phone until after my AN was removed, so i kinda discount the radiation affect.

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »
I still subscribe to the fish hatchery theory myself  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

vicki1967

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:21:20 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input!