Author Topic: Almost two years post op  (Read 4971 times)

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
Almost two years post op
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:53:08 pm »
Well, I am coming up on my two year post-op anniversary at the end of the month.  I cannot say it has been a good two years, butI have survived.  Tinnitus and SSD are my biggest issues, but my balance is still off and my facial symmetry is not perfect.  Most people say they don't see I, but I do.  My husband was kind enough to be honest with me and agree on this matter.

Well, I am posting now because for two days my AN eye has been twitching non-stop.  It is driving me nuts.  I called Dr Friedman and he said he is looking at my charts, but not concerned.  Perhaps I am still healing?  I would like go think that is the case, but I have never had the twitch all day long... For two days now!  Anyone here who can relate?  It is right under the eyelid.  Constant like a fluorescent light burning out.  Flickering.

Hugs to you all!
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Almost two years post op
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »
Hi, Amy ~

Congratulations on your two-year post-op anniversary!  I'm glad you're doing well.  Unfortunately, I have no definitive answer to why your eye is twitching, which certainly must be annoying!  That Dr. Friedman isn't too concerned is a good sign. I would venture a guess that some kind of nerve healing is taking place - but I've never had this experience and I'm not a doctor, and so, can only offer uninformed speculation - which is worth what you paid for it.  :)  I trust this current issue will abate, soon.  Let us know.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JAndrews

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:17:04 pm »
Probably nothing. Majority of eye twitching is from stress!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:54:47 am »
Hi Amy,

I'm approaching my 1 year (10/27/2010) , I can agree with you, it's very frustrating, we all expect progress as we approach certain milestones.  For many years I have experienced twitching, in the eye lid, sometimes on a facial muscles or even a leg muscles.  It would only last 5-10 minutes, not the terrible experience you are having.  I agree with Jim, it might be a nerve, or it could be stress.  I'm a believer in trying anything that might makes us better, so my suggestion is to try and ice the area.  You never know, it might stop.  I hope the next year is going to be better for you and I hope and pray that your body continues to heal.  I intend to make a post on my anniversary, I want to share with the wonderful people from this site. 

God Bless.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:06:22 pm »
Hi Amy, long time no see! I know how it is...you have your good days and bad.  Just hang in there...I hope the twitching will settle down. I know before I had my AN, some days my face would twitch for days.  No idea why...but then it would settle down.  I hope this is just one of those things that will settle down for you...take care and keep us updated! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

newmommyLA

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:24:53 pm »
Hey Jay!  Been really curious about your Baha progress.  After all you went through, I sure hope you feel it was worth it.  I'm considering it.

Eye twitching lasted 5 days non-stop...24/7.  Saw my doctor and took blood.  She referred me to a neurologist.  On day 3 I shared my issue with a co-worker and he told me to try potassium.  I looked online and learned potassium and magnesium (especially mag chloride) can help nerve/muscle twitches.  After two days on the vitamins, it almost stopped.  It's still there a little.  Always there a little bit when I smile and more frequently when I'm staring at my computer 10 hours a day at work.  I don't think I will see the neurologist unless it gets really bad again.  I heard they can do things like inject botox and other procedures to help constant twitches, but I don't want to mess with my face anymore than I have to:)

Thanks for your responses and support.  I hope my suggestions can help others.

Best to all of you!
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:10:45 am »
Hi Amy,

Hopefully your eye has stopped twitching by now but if it has not continue with the potassium if you believe it worked somewhat.

My eye twitched during the facial paralysis I went through after surgery but it went away. I do recall a couple of times that it twitched since then but nothing I would call a problem.

And for your face not being perfectly symmetrical, nobodies face is. In my opinion you should be one of the last people to worry about your face.

My wife has had multiple botox injections over her eyebrows to relieve chronic headaches and it's not caused any further problems (although they don't last too long). But botox does sound like a logical approach. Keep in mind that deadening of any facial nerves will probably cause some minor symmetrical unevenness with your face.

Good luck Amy, hopefully it will just go away.

Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

newmommyLA

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 06:49:18 am »
Thanks for your support Mike!  Always good to hear from you.  Coming up on our two year anniversary!  Hope you are feeling well.  Are you considering any hearing aids yet for the SSD?

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »
Amy,
I had the BAHA surgery in October.  Didn't get to actually wear it till Jan.  The surgery was very quick and little side effects or pain.  She get to wear the lovely nut cup, as my family called it for a couple days. 
I love my BAHA, it helps me a lot at work.  I used to feel like I couldn't hear anything when people came into my office.  I sit facing the door and am deaf on the right side, where the door is.  Once I got the BAHA, I could actually hear people across the hall and even in the hallway.  I almost felt like I was evesdropping.  It's a huge help at restaraunts and crowded places.  Not good for concerts or large outdoor games.  I just take it off for those.
Good luck if you decide to it, I wouldn't ever think twice about the BAHA now.   :)
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

tweety

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »
Hi Amy,  So weird you should be experiencing this as I just went thru a month of my eye twitchingoff and on and was driving me nuts.  I am 16 month post op and never had this before.  I panicked at first but then thought that if it was constant or continued for 2 months I would call.  It has been one wk without the twitching and who knows why it happened.  One young pt I know who had surgery for AN  also told me about her twitching.  She was sent to a neurologist who could not figure out why it was happening.  I do blame it on the nerve maybe coming alive .  I am going to wait and watch this out for awhile.  Hope it doesnt return.  Tweety

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 09:55:26 pm »
So, is it gone all together now?  I sure hope so!!

Have to say "HI" to MIKE too....been awhile. 

Take care everyone & best wishes for us soon to be 2 years post op for good clear MRIs  (at least I have to get one soon for sure)

Denise S (MI)   ;D
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

vicki1967

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:03:52 pm »
My twitching stopped several weeks after surgery (in '08) but I developed Fibromyalgia right after surgery and I suffered with it for 2 years post surgery. The best way I can describe it was like having flu-like symptoms. The onset was brought on by stress or being in crowded places like shopping malls. I developed chronic, widespread pain all over my body and I was completely drained of energy for 2 years. I believe your twitching and my Fibromyalgia was just our body's ways of recovering. I never thought that my symptoms would ever subside, but they did!
I also read the post above about the magnesium & potassium. Both have helped me anytime I experienced twitching (regardless of surgery).
Best of luck to you!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »
Hi there. I am coming up on 4 yrs post op, and my eye still twitches just like you describe.

However it does this occasionally only. Usually during hi usage of my AN side eye in lots of light . me and my sunglasses are on even during cloudy days.

See my eye doesn't blink much, so it can get really dry and hurt and then twitch. I've also noticed when my AN side of my face is tired, the eye starts to go off.

when that happens, Mom's old standard cure works for me. Warm rag on cheek and over eye, 2 Bufferin (showing my age there) and relax in a prone way..
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here